[NatureNS] Killing Endangered Species on Private Land is Ok

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=208.103.226.32; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 22:09:17 +0000

=3D"gmail_quote"&gt;On Tue, May
--------=_MB6B8F963D-F566-4845-A778-EEFAB5515025

Hi John & All,
     As I am sure all would agree, the crucial step in understanding and=20
managing any complex system is identification of the coarse controls. If=20
these, the large effects, are overlooked or out of adjustment then=20
fiddling with the fine controls is just wishful thinking.
     The Common Nighthawk nests on bare ground and eats flying insects.=20
It has been decades since I have heard a Nighthawk over Kentville. If=20
anything, clearcut logging with lots of decaying brush to spawn insects=20
should favor Nighthawks; nesting sites plus food.
      Do you honestly suppose that logging has caused this collapse of=20
flying insects and Nighthawks ? Way above that tiny effect I would wager=20
oversanitazion; doggy doo to the landfill (insane !; doggy doo is a=20
resource for invertebrates and plants), yard trash bundled for indoor=20
composting (insane; yard trash is the staff of life for many=20
invertebrates), Bug zappers and the like (towns are death zones for=20
flying insects; gee I wonder why bats got white mouth ?).
     Pogo, about 1956 hit the nail on the head while looking at a swamp=20
half filled with assorted trash, "I have seen the enemy and he is us."=20
And unfortunately far too few people noticed; or noticed and forgot.
     Did your Nighthawk fly up from a nest or just fly into view from=20
elsewhere ? Does it matter ? Birds are killed on public highways in=20
great numbers. Should someone walk ahead of each vehicle with a lantern=20
so this does not happen ?
     Another endangered species is the independent tree harvester. The=20
profit margins are paper thin or negative and down time can land you in=20
debt. Thus we have advanced to forestry by mowing machines 24/365.
     In my view the small independent logger, especially if selective=20
cutting is practiced, should be subsidized (as in much of Europe) and=20
not treated like some untouchable.
     End of rant.
Yt, DW, Kentville