[NatureNS] Eagle and ducklings

From: nancy dowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 17:32:30 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Today I watched 3 female Am Black Ducks and a total of 18 ducklings along the shore of a small lake. As they were slowly swimming an adult Bald Eagle swooped over them then perched in a lakeside tree, where it remained. The ducks quacked a bit and then returned to milling about as before. No reaction whatsoever like corralling young or moving shoreside (?). The Eagle stayed on its tree watching them for at least 20min and was still looking down on them when I left. I imagine there is at least one less duckling by now.

Seemed weird the ducks were so unconcerned- I was. Guess thereā€™d be little they could do about it anyway- best to have large broods.

Nancy
E Dalhousie, Kings Co.

Sent from my iPad