[NatureNS] Flowering Dogwood

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 22:37:38 -0300

There still seems to be some uncertainty about species / common names.
The hobble-bush (Viburnum lantanoides) is an early bloomer, and is
similar to but is not a dogwood (cornus). The hobble-bush on my property
is just about finished blooming. It tends to live naturally in forested,
well-shaded areas and readily spreads through stem layering and root
suckering, so you'll often find lots of plants together. The
alternate-leaf dogwood, or pagoda dogwood (Cornus alternifolia), on the
other hand, is just coming into bloom now. It likes more sun than
hobble-bush and tends to grow larger, with thicker stems, and cultivated
in a sunny spot can be quite impressive when in bloom. Both shrubs are
native to Nova Scotia. Their leaves are quite different and distinctive,
and thus pretty easy to identify.

Cheers,
Doug Linzey