Re[2]: [NatureNS] Breeding Bird Survey

From: John Kearney <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 20:00:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Apple-Mail-72838C02-5CC0-4B83-8458-A236884AD953

Not that I=E2=80=99m aware of David. Studies have shown that birds need to b=
e within 2 km to be attracted. As for your suggestion, one would have to ens=
ure that a wind turbine is not between the bird and the light. Nonetheless a=
 strong light causes bird to circle it continuously, to the point of exhaust=
ion. The memorial lights at ground zero in New York have to be turned off pe=
riodically during the night to allow circling birds to escape.=20
John

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 18:58, David <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:
>=20
> Hi John & All,
>     Are you saying that a light near a wind tower attracted the birds ? If=
 so, has anyone tried using lights to divert traffic away from wind towers ?=

> Yt, DW, Kentville
>=20
re are still some birds migrating throughout the first week of June. A few y=
ears ago, someone left a light on at one of the wind farms I was surveying o=
n the night of June 9th. In the morning there were 14 dead birds beneath it c=
omprised of Red-eyed Vireos and Yellow-bellied Flycatchers. These would have=
 been birds that are still migrating.
>>=20
>> John
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
oes into Shelburne and up into Welshtown.  I went out at 03:00 and found tha=
t I had to scrape ice off of my windshield.  Who would have thought on June 4=
 that ice would be heavy enough on the windshield so that the wipers would n=
ot remove it.  Anyhow, I set off and went about a quarter of the way and tho=
ught to myself, what am I doing?  I turned around and went back home and wil=
l run the route later in the month when the weather is warmer and the birds w=
ill be singing and calling as they normally would.  The cold would not have m=
ade it a valid census. =20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> I'll focus on the western kingbird later in the morning found by John Rob=
art.  This bird was at the old Kirk's Christmas Tree Yard in Bridgewater.  I=
t is at the end of the Glenn Alen Subdivision across from the ball field.  I=
t is an area that provides public access if the bird sticks around. =20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> I also will be checking out the nesting phoebe and if the eastern bluebir=
d pair are still around at Vogler's Cove. =20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> I think I'll also go out Western Shore way to a location for olive-sided f=
lycatcher and black-throated blue warblers that traditionally nest there and=
 check that location out.  I'll post my findings later if successful and wil=
l send a report through to Dalhousie University in regards to the olive-side=
d flycatcher.  I will need to go back to Wallace Lake to get a GPS location f=
or the Canada Warbler for them. =20
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>> James R. Hirtle
>>=20
>> LaHave
>>=20
>> =20
>>=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Virus-free. www.avast.com
>>=20
>> =20

--Apple-Mail-72838C02-5CC0-4B83-8458-A236884AD953

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">Not that I=E2=80=99m aware of David. Studie=
s have shown that birds need to be within 2 km to be attracted. As for your s=
uggestion, one would have to ensure that a wind turbine is not between the b=
ird and the light. Nonetheless a strong light causes bird to circle it conti=
nuously, to the point of exhaustion. The memorial lights at ground zero in N=
ew York have to be turned off periodically during the night to allow circlin=
div><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#=
default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
e.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px; padding-ri=
ght:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px; p=
adding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding-t=
op: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
li[style=3D'text-align: center;'], li[style=3D'text-align: right;'] {  list-=
style-position: inside;}
body { font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 12pt;   }--></style><div>Hi John &amp=
; All,</div><div>&nbsp; &nbsp; Are you saying that a light near a wind tower=
 attracted the birds ? If so, has anyone tried using lights to divert traffi=
">john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</div>
/a></div>
970$@ns.sympatico.ca" type=3D"cite" class=3D"cite2">
ecision James. Besides the cold, I find that there are still some birds migr=
ating throughout the first week of June. A few years ago, someone left a lig=
ht on at one of the wind farms I was surveying on the night of June 9<sup>th=
</sup>. In the m