[NatureNS] Lyme disease

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: pce@accesswave.ca
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 08:58:05 -0300

 would be hit the hardest.&lt;o:p xmlns:o=3D"#unknown"&gt;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/span&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&

--Boundary_(ID_1qWjJLyfAxTQrjOrjj1lQg)

There's a map of Lyme Disease risk areas on a federal government web
page, here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/lyme-disease/risk-lyme-disease.html#map

perhaps a little out of date, and a more detailed one for Nova Scotia,
here:

https://novascotia.ca/dhw/CDPC/lyme.asp

Just wondering: Do blacklegged ticks really use birds as a means of
dispersal? That story about birds bringing them into NS doesn't pass the
smell test.

--- Peter Payzant

On 2018-06-15 8:43 AM, Bev Wigney wrote:
> John -- Is there a particular migratory path that leads to Nova
> Scotia?  I'm thinking of how there are some bad tick hotspots on the
> coastal parts of the eastern U.S. (like New Jersey) and maybe the
> birds that pass through those particular areas are the ones coming
> here.  Also, I'm wondering about the accuracy of the info about ticks
> with Lyme being worse here.  I believe I saw a map not long ago --
> maybe on the CBC website -- showing that New Brunswick has some
> comparably bad Lyme hotspots.
> By the way -- so far, this is turning out to be quite a ticky summer
> around my place and I'm hearing much the same from friends around here
> (Annapolis Royal).  Normally, the ticks seem to be less by the
> beginning of July.  Hope that will be the case this summer.
>
> Bev
>
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 8:07 AM, John Kearney
> <john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca <mailto:john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi David and all,
>
>     That’s a very good question. I’ve heard the same reason given for
>     why we have the Hemlock Woolley Adelgid in Nova Scotia but not in
>     northern Maine and New Brunswick. I’m not aware of any evidence
>     indicating that more spring migrants fly to Nova Scotia than Maine
>     or New Brunswick.
>
>     John
>
>     *From:*naturens-owner@chebucto.ns.ca

  <head>
  </head>
    There's a map of Lyme Disease risk areas on a federal government web
    page, here:<br>
    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
href="https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/lyme-disease/risk-lyme-disease.html#map">https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/lyme-disease/risk-lyme-disease.html#map</a><br>
    perhaps a little out of date, and a more detailed one for Nova
    Scotia, here: <br>
    <a moz-do-not-send="true"
      href="https://novascotia.ca/dhw/CDPC/lyme.asp">https://novascotia.ca/dhw/CDPC/lyme.asp</a><br>
    Just wondering: Do blacklegged ticks really use birds as a means of
    dispersal? That story about birds bringing them into NS doesn't pass
    the smell test.<br>
    --- Peter Payzant<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAD_MH0NP6oZb7tsNh85v9FDMqM29_hK4kWZH=E9Tg8GdHC96AA@mail.gmail.com">
        leads to Nova Scotia?  I'm thinking of how there are some bad
        tick hotspots on the coastal parts of the eastern U.S. (like New
        Jersey) and maybe the birds that pass through those particular
        areas are the ones coming here.  Also, I'm wondering about the
        accuracy of the info about ticks with Lyme being worse here.  I
        believe I saw a map not long ago -- maybe on the CBC website --
        showing that New Brunswick has some comparably bad Lyme
        hotspots.
          ticky summer around my place and I'm hearing much the same
          from friends around here (Annapolis Royal).  Normally, the
          ticks seem to be less by the beginning of July.  Hope that
          will be the case this summer.  <br>
            Kearney <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a
                href="mailto:john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca"
                target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true">john.kearney@ns.sympatico.ca</a>&gt;</span>
            wrote:<br>
              .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                      question. I’ve heard the same reason given for why
                      we have the Hemlock Woolley Adelgid in Nova Scotia
                      but not in northern Maine and New Brunswick. I’m
                      not aware of any evidence indicating that more
                      spring migrants fly to Nova Scotia than Maine or
                      New Brunswick.</span></p>