[NatureNS] Lyme disease

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2018 20:08:32 -0300

class=3DMsoNormal&gt;&lt;o:p&gt;&amp;nbsp;&lt;/o:p&gt;&lt;/p&gt;&lt;/div&gt

--Boundary_(ID_EulGWNYOVK3gKsxi6b3YtA)

It's worthwhile questioning the ability of spring migrants to spread
insects, such as the hemlock woolly adelgid (HWA). Invariably it's us
humans who are the direct/indirect original vectors of introduction (and
this is the case with HWA as well). I am interested to learn more about
the spring migration routes of species such as Bay-breasted and
Blackburnian warblers, as well as Blue headed vireo, and other high
canopy gleaners of insects in hemlock stands.

I understand that HWA has been migrating more or less steadily toward
northern Maine over the past decades, slowed somewhat by some of the
colder winters.  Everything points to it reaching there eventually.
Since the pest consists of "all females", HWA needs only one new
individual to start a whole new population. (We can only hope this could
lead to part of its vulnerability.)

HWA needs to actually land on hemlock.  I am not certain that NB has a
lot of hemlock at the border, but it likely features much less than it
once did, given the species sensitivity to fire, land clearance and
clearcuts.   (My research in eastern NB indicated a precipitous decline
in expansive hemlock-dominated stands beginning in the early 1800s.)
There may be much less hemlock to become infested with HWA in NB than in
southwestern NS where some impressive hemlock stands remain.  Other
plausible theories for HWA dispersal vectors to NS were from high wind
events and nursery stock.  Birds seemed more likely to me, especially
given the extremely small size of HWA and its ability to stick fast to
feathers.

It's heart wrenching to watch.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-06-15 8:07 AM, John Kearney wrote:

> Hi David and all,
>
> That’s a very good question. I’ve heard the same reason given for why
> we have the Hemlock Woolley Adelgid in Nova Scotia but not in northern
> Maine and New Brunswick. I’m not aware of any evidence indicating that
> more spring migrants fly to Nova Scotia than Maine or New Brunswick.
>
> John

---

--Boundary_(ID_EulGWNYOVK3gKsxi6b3YtA)

  <head>
  </head>
      spread insects, such as the hemlock woolly adelgid (HWA).
      Invariably it's us humans who are the direct/indirect original
      vectors of introduction (and this is the case with HWA as well).
      I am interested to learn more about the spring migration routes of
      species such as Bay-breasted and Blackburnian warblers, as well as
      Blue headed vireo, and other high canopy gleaners of insects in
      hemlock stands.  <br>
[...]
      feathers.</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d40499$12fc0280$38f40780$@ns.sympatico.ca">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Segoe UI";
	panose-1:2 11 5 2 4 2 4 2 2 3;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	mso-margin-top-alt:auto;
	margin-right:0cm;
	mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto;
	margin-left:0cm;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v: