[NatureNS] Nova Scotian forest composition

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 20:06:33 -0300

&gt; other late successional tree species.  Early entry harvesting

--Boundary_(ID_0u8aKZfLIvdXRmYyDQ3kug)

Also paper(s) somewhere that indicate that chemical agents merely
prolong the budworm cycle, similar to what you've said below.  All in
all, it's best to accept it and "watch the show".  Foresters know what
to do to mitigate wood losses.  They choose not to for a number of reasons.

Donna Crossland

On 2018-06-20 10:01 PM, Hebda, Andrew J wrote:

> There was a publication from either the late 1950s or early 1960s by
> Dr R E  Balch called the Ecological Viewpoint... It came from either
> an episode or a series from CBC University of the Air  in which he
> discussed the impact of contemporary  and historical use of forest
> insecticides altering the dynamics of the budworm populations through
> selecting for resistant forms.
>
> As I recall he noted that the cycling of those populations was regular
> and predictable with relatively clearly defined maxima and minima in
> population sizes He noted that the selective pressure of the chemicals
> reduced the cyclic nature of the species and resulted in an
> incremental increase in the "low levels" of the species, to the point
> where the base level of those populations was higher than the upper
> level o the normal population oscillations.
>
> The point being that climate change is not necessarily the principal
> driving force for specific species impacts.  I will see if I can track
> down the publication (I think he may have been UNB Fredericton)

---

--Boundary_(ID_0u8aKZfLIvdXRmYyDQ3kug)

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">