[NatureNS] Guinea-Fowl in Halifax

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 03:39:26 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

I have never heard of Guinea Fowl successfully overwintering as a wild population despite being very resourceful birds. The ones I cared for tended to lay their eggs anywhere (you may find one in your yard) but seemed to have no outdoor nesting instinct whatsoever. The same birds flew across the cove every night and roosted in an old fish shed- so strong flyers that can reach a much wider area than chickens from their home base. The Guineas may become regulars in your yard, which may or may not be so good. On the plus side, they are supposed to control ticks

Nancy D.