[NatureNS] First outing for raccoon young

From: Joanne Cook <jocook.ns@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 08:48:36 -0700
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

lang=3DEN

--Apple-Mail-EFFBE76B-FD3A-4DD6-ACC2-CEB3B4BD067F

When I lived on Murray Hill Drive in Dartmouth a few years ago, we regularly=
 had raccoons up in the deck, drawn I think by the enticing scents from the b=
arbecue.=20

They will attack when cornered, or feeling like they are. What a shame your f=
riend had to undergo that - sounds painful.=20

Cheers,
Joanne

___________________
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good=
 with hot sauce.=20

> On Jul 7, 2018, at 7:36 AM, David&Jane Schlosberg <dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico=
.ca> wrote:
>=20
> A friend who lives on Portland Street in Dartmouth was attacked by a racoo=
n a couple of weeks ago.  He heard a noise on his deck in the middle of the n=
ight and went outside, barefoot, to see what had caused it.  The racoon atta=
cked, bit and scratched.  Our friend had to be treated with rabies shots, te=
tanus, etc.  They have a small copse of woods behind their house.  He didn=E2=
=80=99t see any babies.
> This seems to be a new level of boldness.=20
> Jane Schlosberg
> P.S. If anyone wants a more detailed account of this bust-up, get in touch=
 with me.  I have the email describing his adventure archived.
> =20
ard a scream.  I ran out to see what was happening and there was a raccoon u=
p on the deck.  It was very brazen as they seem to be with no fear.  It even=
tually left the deck.  I went out with the flashlight as I had heard noises c=
oming from the direction of our shed.  Earlier in the day I had heard sounds=
 of raccoons fighting.  These sounds were also coming from the shed.  I had a=
lso heard noises from within the shed.  There is a hole in one of the floorb=
oards and I figured maybe a porcupine or something else had gotten in.  When=
 I flashed the flashlight I could see ma raccoon and then five sets of eyes p=
eeking out from under the shed.  Eventually five young raccoons came out to j=
oin ma and off the truddled, which I assume was their first time out with ma=
.  They followed after her in a line after she reined them in and scolded th=
em. =20
>=20
> =20
>=20
> James R. Hirtle
>=20
> LaHave
>=20
> =20
>=20
> Virus-free. www.avast.com
> =20

--Apple-Mail-EFFBE76B-FD3A-4DD6-ACC2-CEB3B4BD067F

utf-8"></head><body dir=3D"auto">When I lived on Murray Hill Drive in Dartmo=
uth a few years ago, we regularly had raccoons up in the deck, drawn I think=
l attack when cornered, or feeling like they are. What a shame your friend h=
iv>Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste g=
vid&amp;Jane Schlosberg &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dschlosb-g@ns.sympatico.ca">ds=
e"><div><meta http-equiv=3D"Content-Type" content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dus=
-ascii"><meta name=3D"Generator" content=3D"Microsoft Word 15 (filtered medi=
um)"><!--[if !mso]><style>v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
.shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.msonormal0, li.msonormal0, div.msonormal0
	{mso-style-name:msonormal;
	margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;}
span.EmailStyle18
	{mso-style-type:personal;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{mso-style-type:personal-reply;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-size:10.0pt;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext=3D"edit" spidmax=3D"1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext=3D"edit">
<o:idmap v:ext=3D"edit" data=3D"1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--><div class=3D"WordSection1"><p class=3D"Ms=
oNormal">A friend who lives on Portland Street in Dartmouth was attacked by a=
 racoon a couple of weeks ago.&nbsp; He heard a noise on his deck in the mid=
dle of the night and went outside, barefoot, to see what had caused it.&nbsp=
; The racoon attacked, bit and scratched.&nbsp; Our friend had to be treated=
 with rabies shots, tetanus, etc.&nbsp; They have a small copse of woods beh=
ind their house.&nbsp; He didn=E2=80=99t see any babies.<o:p></o:p></p><p cl=
ass=3D"MsoNormal">This seems to be a new level of boldness.&nbsp; <o:p></o:p=
mal">P.S. If anyone wants a more detailed account of this bust-up, get in to=
uch with