[NatureNS] birds and monarchs

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 13:31:03 -0300

The bird situation is fairly quiet here in White Point at our yard. Various
birds check in to see have we put feeders out again but then go away.
Hummingbirds are not exactly plentiful but we have a number. Three males for
sure and I think I have seen 5 females on and about the feeder recently
without squabbling but I am expecting babies to show soon as the tension is
rising.
Woodpecker poppa bring the son to the hummingbird feeder and they have sips.
Goldfinches do the same as do Sparrows. Things have been dry so maybe that
is part as we didn't set up the bird bath.  I see lots of feathered friends
bathing in puddles and occasionally when I water my veggies, birds will
arrive to enjoy the showers.

Monarchs are about. I am seeing lovely big, fresh and quite dark Monarchs. I
have seen one male but a number of females. We are trying to establish
milkweed stands and we have had eggs that have developed into Caterpillars
but then they disappear. I wonder what is taking them.
Marg

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
LocalArtistMargMillard.ca
By Appointment, please