[NatureNS] A late Loon chick

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 14:43:58 -0300
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Yesterday, my neighbours and other lake residents reported to me that a Loon chick had been seen on our lake (they know I am doing the Canadian Lakes Loon Survey).Then I heard the parents wailing loudly around the point and this Loon family swam by! I had pretty much given up on Loons nesting on this lake with so little undeveloped shoreline left. A cottager tells me they nest every year on an “island" off of their property so long as the water is low enough for it to be exposed and remain that way. So not always successful. She also said this chick hatched Tues so only 2 days old in the photos. Hope it grows to a safer size quickly and the Eagles keep away- so vulnerable.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/29660241448/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/150605880@N07/43531915361/in/dateposted-public/

Nancy D
E Dalhousie, Kings Co