[NatureNS] Nutrient depletion by using Glyphosate

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.181; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 21:41:42 +0000

--------=_MB1A4EADF4-6114-439D-9B69-D153C6A19363

Hi Donna & All,
     Here we go again, but I feel compelled to comment on your contention=
=20
(Chron. Hrld., p.A3, Aug 22, 2018) that use of Glyphosate to control=20
hardwoods will lead to nutrient depletion. I suppose if one carefully=20
selected sites where this might apply, [eskers or well drained portion=20
of drumlins], then it could be demonstrated by experiment. But general=20
truth is not proven with a thumb on the balance.
     And as an aside, I don't think spraying to kill hardwoods is prudent=
=20
in areas which resemble the woods near Kentville. Spruce continue to die=20
like attic flies and in far less than 80 years, if current trends=20
continue, Spruce near Kentville will be nearly unknown. And I do agree=20
that a mixed forest is best able to roll with the punches delivered over=20
time provided the context is land never used for farming which will=20
usually mean a defective profile. We should be more receptive to a model=20
of timber production widely used elsewhere; plant relatively good soil=20
to trees evenly spaced in rows and mow the lot when mature.
     Sometimes Spruce is shallow rooted due to impervious subsoil=20
overlain by rocks and nutrients are supplied to these trees by lateral=20
flow from upslope and by mineralization of the underlying rocks..=20
Hardwoods do poorly on such sites and when there is a stiff wind the=20
Spruce blow over, frequently in clumps of from two eight trees and the=20
'topsoil' is revealed, a thin carpet of moss and roots which is peeled=20
back to reveal highly mineralized rocks. On a nearby site, 100" away,=20
Spruce may be so deeply rooted that it breaks off above ground in a=20
stiff wind while adjacent Poplar are uprooted and nearby Maple also fall=20
in large numbers if the soil is saturated to rooting depth by heavy rain=20
plus lateral subsurface flow. In one blow I lost 2-3 acres of hardwood,=20
Mostly Maple and Poplar, with nothing left standing.
     To pull the above together: soil profile physical properties are the=
=20
coarse controls and assuming that forest soils should be as rich in=20
nutrients as soil used for annual crops flies in the face of experience.=20
Trees are there year round, have tissue capable of extracting nutrients=20
from precipitation, fixing N etc. Recent "studies" which assume=20
otherwise are just exercises in meaningless number crunching.
     These endless debates could perhaps simmer down if it were more=20
widely appreciated IA) that forest cover moderates extremes in stream=20
flow as opposed to the flood>drought generated by clearcuts and typical=20
urban conditions, 1B) the debate should not be just about clearcut yes=20
or no but about what fraction of a watershed can be cut over a decade. I=20
would favor 10%.  2) small woodlot owners should be paid to maintain=20
this cover, and 3) the small woodlot owner should be free to sell lumber=20
extracted from his lot. Then selective cutting would be more realistic.=20
It would also help if those entirely against clear cutting would buy a=20
woodlot and show everyone else how to turn a profit using selective=20
cutting. It is not as easy as it sounds. Especially if you have to pay a=20
$500 annual certification fee.
Yt, DW
--------=_MB1A4EADF4-6114-439D-9B69-D153C6A19363

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
li[style=3D'text-align: center;'], li[style=3D'text-align: right;'] {  list=
-style-position: inside;}
body { font-family: Segoe UI; font-size: 12pt;   }
]]></style>
</head>
mpelled to comment on your contention (Chron. Hrld., p.A3, Aug 22, 2018) th=
at use of Glyphosate to control hardwoods will lead to nutrient depletion.=
 I suppose if one carefully selected sites where this might apply, [eskers o=
r well drained portion of drumlins], then it could be demonstrated by exper=
iment. But general truth is not proven with a thumb on the balance.=C2=A0</=
div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 And as an aside, I don't think spraying to kill hard=
woods is prudent in areas which resemble the woods near Kentville. Spruce c=
ontinue to die like attic flies and in far less than 80 years, if current t=
rends continue, Spruce near Kentville will be nearly unknown. And I do agre=
e that a mixed forest is best able to roll with the punches delivered over=
 time provided the context is land never used for farming which will usually =
mean a defective profile. We should be more receptive to a model of timber =
production widely used elsewhere; plant relatively good soil to trees even=
ly spaced in rows and mow the lot when mature.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=
=A0 Sometimes Spruce is shallow rooted due to impervious subsoil overlain b=
y rocks and nutrients are supplied to these trees by lateral flow from upsl=
ope and by mineralization of the underlying rocks.. Hardwoods do poorly on=
 such sites and when there is a stiff wind the Spruce blow over, frequently=
 in clumps of from two eight trees and the 'topsoil' is revealed, a thin car=
pet of moss and roots which is peeled back to reveal highly mineralized roc=
ks. On a nearby site, 100" away, Spruce may be so deeply rooted that it bre=
aks off above ground in a stiff wind while adjacent Poplar are uprooted and =
nearby Maple also fall in large numbers if the soil is saturated to rootin=
g depth by heavy rain plus lateral subsurface flow. In one blow I lost 2-3=
 acres of hardwood, Mostly Maple and Poplar, with nothing left standing.=C2=
=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 To pull the above together: soil profile physic=
al properties are the coarse controls and assuming that forest soils should =
be as rich in nutrients as soil used for annual crops flies in the face of =
experience. Trees are there year round, have tissue capable of extracting=
 nutrients from precipitation, fixing N etc. Recent "studies" which assume o=
therwise are just exercises in meaningless number crunching.=C2=A0</div><di=
v>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 These endless debates could perhaps simmer down if it were=
 more widely appreciated IA) that forest cover moderates extremes in stream=
 flow as opposed to the flood&gt;drought generated by clearcuts and typical=
 urban conditions, 1B) <i>the debate should not be just about clearcut yes o=
r no</i>=C2=A0but about what fraction of a watershed can be cut over a deca=
de. I would favor 10%.<i>=C2=A0</i> 2) small woodlot owners should be paid=
 to maintain this cover, and 3) the small woodlot owner should be free to se=
ll lumber extracted from his lot. Then selective cutting would be more real=
istic. It would also help if those entirely against clear cutting would buy =
a woodlot and show everyone else how to turn a profit using selective cutt=
ing. It is not as easy as it sounds. Especially if you have to pay a $500 a=
--------=_MB1A4EADF4-6114-439D-9B69-D153C6A19363--