[NatureNS] invitation to Brier Island

From: Nick Hill <fernhillns@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2018 09:00:38 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Cc: "Eaton, Samara (EC/EC)" <samara.eaton@canada.ca>,

--000000000000c678c4057532a37c

Hello naturalists,

I know many of you are aware that Brier Island is a natural jewel of
Canada, a boreal basaltic island kept cool by marine upwelling. It has more
than the whales. Lance Andree and Ron keep the bird-banding station
operational in August and will be finishing up in September.

Also in September, this coming Saturday the 8th, we celebrate the operning
of the Boardwalk Phase 1 into the hydrologically-restored Big Meadow Bog.
This project was called for by the Recovery Team of the Endangered Eastern
Mountain Avens because that species' principal habitat, the Meadow, had
been ditched 60 years ago with profound and bad ramifications for the
survival of the Avens..woody growth had seized the bog and thousands of
nesting Herring Gulls fueled rank weeds, both of which were ousting and
outcompeting this Globally Imperilled plant.

So if you would like to come on Saturday the 8th and be part of this,
please come for the run or walk (10K each..at 10 and 9 am respectively)
that you may hear advertized on CBC, or come for the ceremony at 1:15.
Afterwards we can have a bog walk to see one of Canada's rarest species.

Thanks

Nick

ferries are sequential and hourly and you will need to be passing by Digby
at ten to the hour so as be on time in East Ferry (leaves for Long Island
at half past each hour).

--
Dr. N.M.Hill
Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation

phone 902-698-0416

--000000000000c678c4057532a37c

lo naturalists,</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"=
ny of you are aware that Brier Island is a natural jewel of Canada, a borea=
l basaltic island kept cool by marine upwelling. It has more than the whale=
s. Lance Andree and Ron keep the bird-banding station operational in August=
 and will be finishing up in September.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" s=
tyle=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"fo=
nt-size:large">Also in September, this coming Saturday the 8th, we celebrat=
e the operning of the Boardwalk Phase 1 into the hydrologically-restored Bi=
g Meadow Bog. This project was called for by the Recovery Team of the Endan=
gered Eastern Mountain Avens because that species&#39; principal habitat, t=
he Meadow, had been ditched 60 years ago with profound and bad ramification=
s for the survival of the Avens..woody growth had seized the bog and thousa=
nds of nesting Herring Gulls fueled rank weeds, both of which were ousting =
and outcompeting this Globally Imperilled plant.</div><div class=3D"gmail_d=
efault" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" st=
yle=3D"font-size:large">So if you would like to come on Saturday the 8th an=
d be part of this, please come for the run or walk (10K each..at 10 and 9 a=
m respectively) that you may hear advertized on CBC, or come for the ceremo=
ny at 1:15. Afterwards we can have a bog walk to see one of Canada&#39;s ra=
rest species.</div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><=
br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Thanks</div=
s=3D"gmail_default" style=3D"font-size:large">Nick</div><div class=3D"gmail=
_default" style=3D"font-size:large"><br></div><div class=3D"gmail_default" =
style=3D"font-size:large">ferries are sequential and hourly and you will ne=
ed to be passing by Digby at ten to the hour so as be on time in East Ferry=
r><div class=3D"gmail_signature" data-smartmail=3D"gmail_signature">Dr. N.M=
.Hill<br>Fern Hill Institute of Plant Conservation<br>424 Bentley Road, Ber=

--000000000000c678c4057532a37c--