[NatureNS] Re: Pure White Sandpiper

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 14:58:52 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,

--00000000000070ed8005766566f2

Hi Everyone,
Richard Stern was able to get better photos of the white (presumed)
Semipalmated Sandpiper today, under great conditions. We both still believe
it to be that species. Note the black eye, meaning that it is not an
albino. It is just severely leucistic (= unable to produce pigments, for
whatever reason). You may "see" some light peach or very light brown
colours in these better photos. And they may be real. On the other hand,
they may just be Minas Basin silt. These birds routinely bathe in the ocean
waters, aside from foraging all day in red mud. Lastly, the bird just
behind in all photos is a juvenile White-rumped Sandpiper. Compare the size
of the white peep with the other Semipalmated Sandpipers around it. Enjoy.

https://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S48648719

Regards,
Rick Whitman

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 12:05, Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
wrote:

> In the rain today, I photographed a pure white sandpiper. I can't detect
> any pigment at all in the feathers. The legs appear to be yellow but given
> my suspected ID, this also shows lack of pigment. As shown in the first
> photo, this bird is as large as every Semipalmated Sandpiper around it so
> it cannot be a Least Sandpiper. Given its general body size, shape, and the
> other birds that it generally associated with, I do believe it is
> a Semipalmated Sandpiper.
> Please ignore "Buy Photo" button. I don't sell photos and there is no
> charge to view these photos full size. See last three photos at link. You
> may also enjoy the other photos here:
>
> https://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-July-September-2018/
>
> Regards,
> Rick Whitman

--00000000000070ed8005766566f2

o get better photos of the white (presumed) Semipalmated Sandpiper today, u=
nder great conditions. We both still believe it to be that species. Note th=
e black eye, meaning that it is not an albino. It is just severely leucisti=
c (=3D unable to produce pigments, for whatever reason). You may &quot;see&=
quot; some light peach or very light brown colours in these better photos. =
And they may be real. On the other hand, they may just be Minas Basin silt.=
 These birds routinely bathe in the ocean waters, aside from foraging all d=
ay in red mud. Lastly, the bird just behind in all photos is a juvenile Whi=
te-rumped Sandpiper. Compare the size of the white peep with the other Semi=
ttps://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S48648719">https://ebird.org/canada/=
ltr">On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 12:05, Rick Whitman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dendr=
oica.caerulescens@gmail.com">dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;bor=
der-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr"><div dir=3D"ltr"=
 I can&#39;t detect any pigment at all in the feathers. The legs appear to =
be yellow but given my suspected ID, this also shows lack of pigment. As sh=
own in the first photo, this bird is as large as every Semipalmated Sandpip=
er around it so it cannot be a Least Sandpiper. Given its general body size=
, shape, and the other birds that it generally associated with, I do believ=
e it is a=C2=A0Semipalmated Sandpiper.=C2=A0</div><div>Please ignore &quot;=
Buy Photo&quot; button. I don&#39;t sell photos and there is no charge to v=
iew these photos full size. See last three photos at link. You may also enj=
hitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-July-September-2018/" target=3D"_blank">htt=
ps://rickwhitman.smugmug.com/Nature/Birds-July-September-2018/</a><br></div=

--00000000000070ed8005766566f2--