[NatureNS] Monarch

Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2018 21:03:17 -0300
From: Larry Bogan <larry@bogan.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Monarchs are still eclosing from their chrysalis here in the Valley. We released the last one raised inside yesterday. Today we saw three Monarchs in our field as we walked the perimeter.

As Peter noted, it is late for them to start migrating. The two frosts we had here damaged many chrysalis that we flagged in the field. We have brought in the healthy looking ones and are releasing them as they emerge. We had one release today.

The Common milkweed is letting its seeds go now and I am in the process of mowing it down to keep the seeds from dispersing onto neighboring lands. My neighbors do not appreciate milkweed growing in with their crops.

An update on Monarch releases: We have released 480 Monarchs, 210 of which were 'wild', ie. brought in as chrysalis or last stage larva. We raised 270 from eggs or young larvae. We tagged 150 with Monarch Watch tags.

There quite a few Sulphurs and Whites in the field also. They are much easier to observe and get close to than during the summer.

--
Larry Bogan
<larry@bogan.ca>