[NatureNS] Lichens of NA vs practical keys for NS

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.146; helo=[192.168.0.100]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 23:21:17 +0000

--------=_MB2A43BA33-2FA9-43D2-A3E2-F579834BD90E

Dear All,
     LONG PREAMBLE:
     In the course of cutting firewood I frequently see Lichens which=20
would rarely be seen in detail from the ground and bought a copy of=20
Brodo, Sharnoff & Sharnoff shortly after their Lichens of North America=20
came out.
     Attempts to key these out based on morphological characters (don't=20
have the chemicals) have nearly always led to dead ends or close but not=20
quite right. And extreme frustration because the text is in alphabetical=20
order by Genera. So one can be very close and never know it because=20
members of a family are scattered throughout the 760+ pages.
     Yesterday a friend found a very common lichen and asked me what it=20
was so I said Usnea but I don'r recall the species. It did not agree=20
with any Usnea  in Lichens of NA, so I thumbed through all pages and=20
drew a blank.
     Wondering why I had supposed it to be Usnea, I checked a small=20
Observers book of Lichens which Alison had bought in 1967 and found=20
Usnea florida at once.  And a Google of Usnea florida confirmed the ID=20
without doubt.
QUESTION:
     I don't have much time these days for luxury activities but would=20
like a practical and reliable key for NS lichens and experience tells me=20
that Lichens of NA is not suitable. Can anyone suggest a good source for=20
identification of NS Lichens; preferably illustrated ? [I have a vague=20
memory of having asked this question years ago but lost most e-mails on=20
my now off-line Dell when some malicious characters gained access to it.=20
And why bust a gut finding an archived copy of a 10 year old e-mail when=20
a current answer may yield something better ?]
     Yt, DW, Kentville
--------=_MB2A43BA33-2FA9-43D2-A3E2-F579834BD90E

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
li[style=3D'text-align: center;'], li[style=3D'text-align: right;'] {  list=
-style-position: inside;}
body { font-family: Tahoma; font-size: 12pt;   }
]]></style>
</head>
the course of cutting firewood I frequently see Lichens which would rarely =
be seen in detail from the ground and bought a copy of Brodo, Sharnoff &am=
p; Sharnoff shortly after their Lichens of North America came out.=C2=A0</d=
iv><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0Attempts to key these out based on morpholo=
gical characters (don't have the chemicals) have nearly always led to dead=
 ends or close but not quite right. And extreme frustration because the text =
is in alphabetical order by Genera. So one can be very close and never kno=
w it because members of a family are scattered throughout the 760+ pages.</=
div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Yesterday a friend found a very common lichen and as=
ked me what it was so I said <i>Usnea</i> but I don'r recall the species.=
=C2=A0It did not agree with any <i>Usnea =C2=A0</i>in Lichens of NA, so I t=
humbed through all pages and drew a blank.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Wo=
ndering why I had supposed it to be <i>Usnea,=C2=A0</i>I checked a small Ob=
servers book of Lichens which Alison had bought in 1967 and found <i>Usnea=
ve much time these days for luxury activities but would like a practical an=
d reliable key for NS lichens and experience tells me that Lichens of NA is =
not suitable. Can anyone suggest a good source for identification of NS Li=
chens; preferably illustrated ? [I have a vague memory of having asked this =
question years ago but lost most e-mails on my now off-line Dell when some =
malicious characters gained access to it. And why bust a gut finding an ar=
chived copy of a 10 year old e-mail when a current answer may yield somethi=
ody></html>
--------=_MB2A43BA33-2FA9-43D2-A3E2-F579834BD90E--