[NatureNS] Lichens of NA vs practical keys for NS

From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 16:52:54 -0300
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--00000000000031699a057849c96f

You might want to contact Karen Casselman, who lives in Wolfville, and is
an authority on lichens.

Richard Stern
sent from my Android device

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018, 8:51 PM David, <dwebster@glinx.com> wrote:

> Dear All,
>     LONG PREAMBLE:
>     In the course of cutting firewood I frequently see Lichens which would
> rarely be seen in detail from the ground and bought a copy of Brodo,
> Sharnoff & Sharnoff shortly after their Lichens of North America came out.
>     Attempts to key these out based on morphological characters (don't
> have the chemicals) have nearly always led to dead ends or close but not
> quite right. And extreme frustration because the text is in alphabetical
> order by Genera. So one can be very close and never know it because members
> of a family are scattered throughout the 760+ pages.
>     Yesterday a friend found a very common lichen and asked me what it was
> so I said *Usnea* but I don'r recall the species. It did not agree with
> any *Usnea  *in Lichens of NA, so I thumbed through all pages and drew a
> blank.
>     Wondering why I had supposed it to be *Usnea, *I checked a small
> Observers book of Lichens which Alison had bought in 1967 and found *Usnea
> florida* at once.  And a Google of *Usnea florida* confirmed the ID
> without doubt.
> QUESTION:
>     I don't have much time these days for luxury activities but would like
> a practical and reliable key for NS lichens and experience tells me that
> Lichens of NA is not suitable. Can anyone suggest a good source for
> identification of NS Lichens; preferably illustrated ? [I have a vague
> memory of having asked this question years ago but lost most e-mails on my
> now off-line Dell when some malicious characters gained access to it. And
> why bust a gut finding an archived copy of a 10 year old e-mail when a
> current answer may yield something better ?]
>     Yt, DW, Kentville

--00000000000031699a057849c96f

olfville, and is an authority on lichens.<br><br><div data-smartmail=3D"gma=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Sun, Oct 14, 2018, 8:51 PM Da=
vid, &lt;dwebster@glinx.com&gt; w=
rote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex=
;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">

e course of cutting firewood I frequently see Lichens which would rarely be=
 seen in detail from the ground and bought a copy of Brodo, Sharnoff &amp; =
Sharnoff shortly after their Lichens of North America came out.=C2=A0</div>=
al characters (don&#39;t have the chemicals) have nearly always led to dead=
 ends or close but not quite right. And extreme frustration because the tex=
t is in alphabetical order by Genera. So one can be very close and never kn=
ow it because members of a family are scattered throughout the 760+ pages.<=
/div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0 Yesterday a friend found a very common lichen and a=
sked me what it was so I said <i>Usnea</i> but I don&#39;r recall the speci=
es.=C2=A0It did not agree with any <i>Usnea =C2=A0</i>in Lichens of NA, so =
I thumbed through all pages and drew a blank.=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0=
 Wondering why I had supposed it to be <i>Usnea,=C2=A0</i>I checked a small=
 Observers book of Lichens which Alison had bought in 1967 and found <i>Usn=
39;t have much time these days for luxury activities but would like a pract=