[NatureNS] Hummingbird

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Don MacNeill <donmacneill@bellaliant.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 07:55:59 -0300

--------------33E93B28D3A5069031933EE8

It appears that migration is triggered by things other than the
abundance of food.  I see recommendations that hummingbird feeders be
kept up until freezing.  It also might help to finally fatten up those
needing it for migration.

Don

Don MacNeill donmacneill@bellaliant.net
On 10/19/2018 7:28 AM, nancy dowd wrote:
> I don’t feel that feeders delay HBs and other birds from migrating.
> Other cues, such as day length and many we don’t fully understand,
> seem to send the majority on their way at roughly the same time each
> fall. There are always stragglers like this Hummingbird who is
> benefitting from Marg’s high-energy feeder at this late date. But I
> doubt feeders are what postponed its departure in the first place.
>
> Nancy D
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On Oct 18, 2018, at 7:48 PM, David <dwebster@glinx.com
> <mailto:dwebster@glinx.com>> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>     Nothing like the voice of inexperience but I wonder, in this era
>> of very erratic weather, if it might be desirable in future to
>> discontinue feeding hummers early to encourage them to leave before
>> adverse weather could arrive.
>> Yt, DW, Kentville

  <head>
  </head>
      things other than the abundance of food.  I see recommendations
      that hummingbird feeders be kept up until freezing.  It also might
      help to finally fatten up those needing it for migration.<br>
      Don<br>
      donmacneill@bellaliant.net</div>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:E75F49BA-7D31-430A-9E78-C53BE42B3D78@gmail.com">
      I don’t feel that feeders delay HBs and other birds from
      migrating. Other cues, such as day length and many we don’t fully
      understand, seem to send the majority on their way at roughly the
      same time each fall. There are always stragglers like this
      Hummingbird who is benefitting from Marg’s high-energy feeder at
      this late date. But I doubt feeders are what postponed its
      departure in the first place.
          On Oct 18, 2018, at 7:48 PM, David &lt;<a
            href="mailto:dwebster@glinx.com" moz-do-not-send="true">dwebster@glinx.com</a>&gt;
          wrote:<br>
                like the voice of inexperience but I wonder, in this era
                of very erratic weather, if it might be desirable in
                future to discontinue feeding hummers early to encourage
                them to leave before adverse weather could arrive.</font></div>
                Kentville</font></div>
                href="mailto:mmillard@eastlink.ca"
                moz-do-not-send="true">mmillard@eastlink.ca</a>&gt;</div>
                moz-do-not-send="true">naturens@chebucto.ns.ca</a></div>
                cite="3C69C32E221A40CCA2CE96877C085CC8@millard"
                type="cite" class="cite2">
                    COLOR: #000000">
                      hardier than we think. Fresh food is out again
                      and  I will put a warm feeder out in the am. I
                      can’t think what else to do really. </div>
                      of my hummer feeders down </div>
                      cold spell would not have </div>

--------------33E93B28D3A5069031933EE8--