[NatureNS] Shellfish upheaval

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken54@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 21:07:37 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Hi all
The strong  nor’easter a few days ago had a significant impact in shellfish near Caribou-Munroes I Provincial Park in Pictou Co. On a hike along the beach this morning with Fred MacKenzie , we were surprised by the number of gulls and eagles along the beach. As we walked along, the reason they were there became obvious as several thousand bar clams had washed up on the beach. Also on the beach were 3-4 dozen lobsters, a few mussels and scallops. Between ourselves and another beach hiker, most of the lobsters that we saw still alive were returned to the water but one would have needed baskets to gather the bar clams. I had no idea so many clams had been living in the waters off the island. Many age classes were in the mix. The clams were all along the north and east beaches.

The waves during the storm must have completely covered  a good section of the bar
connecting the mainland section of the park to Munroes I. The marram grass was matted down. On the north side there was quite a bit of erosion of the bank and many trees must have washed away.  Lots of power to this storm. Big Island Causeway further east fared worse with a large section of the causeway breached. There was a steady stream of trucks trying to restore the causeway road the last couple days.

Cheers
Ken

Sent from my iPad
Ken McKenna