[NatureNS] White Point Christmas Bird Count

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Lois Codling <loiscodling@hfx.eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 21:05:42 -0400

--------------75C16A11775B1F6F8F241A43

James, I was wondering if you had seen a Clay-coloured Sparrow on Dec.
14?  It is not yet on the Winter List.
Lois Codling

On 12/16/2018 6:49 PM, James Hirtle wrote:
> I returned to Liverpool today to try and find some of the rarer
> species seen on Dec. 14.  The United Baptist Cemetery in Liverpool had
> been a hotspot on that day.  By the entrance there were four Baltimore
> orioles feeding on berries.  I managed to see one of them today.  It
> was pure luck in being in the right place at the right time as the
> bird was on the ground.  I managed a quick photo and then it
> disappeared not to be relocated.  I'm not sure if the other three are
> still present or not.
>
> I struck out on the other species of which they were a gray catbird, a
> red-bellied woodpecker ( could be the same one that stopped by at
> Dorothy Poole's yard a few days before the count), a clay-colored
> sparrow, and chipping sparrows.
>
> I also tried to find the northern mockingbird behind Sobeys, but no
> luck and for the blue-winged teal in Brooklyn.  Also, not present
> today were three red-throated loons of which two had been off Fort
> Point and the other in the river.
>
> Also missed today was a Barrow's goldeneye that had been found in the
> river.  All I could find there today were common goldeneyes.  The
> cemetery had been hopping and I had about 23 species there.
>
> I did not have time to go out to Western Head to try for the northern
> gannets, the two species of murre, razorbills, Atlantic puffins and an
> orange-crowned warbler.  The later had been found at the turn down to
> Western Head Light and the other species seen at high tide off the
> lighthouse on Dec. 14.
>
> I'm hoping that someone will get chance to check out the Western Head
> light to see if any of those good birds are still moving past.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> LaHave

--------------75C16A11775B1F6F8F241A43

  <head>
  </head>
    James, I was wondering if you had seen a Clay-coloured Sparrow on
    Dec. 14?  It is not yet on the Winter List.<br>
    Lois Codling<br>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:YQBPR0101MB13323C017B7A99EAE4A61A9FB5A30@YQBPR0101MB1332.CANPRD01.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        I returned to Liverpool today to try and find some of the rarer
        species seen on Dec. 14.  The United Baptist Cemetery in
        Liverpool had been a hotspot on that day.  By the entrance there
        were four Baltimore orioles feeding on berries.  I managed to
        see one of them today.  It was pure luck in being in the right
        place at the right time as the bird was on the ground.  I
        managed a quick photo and then it disappeared not to be
        relocated.  I'm not sure if the other three are still present or
        not.</div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        I struck out on the other species of which they were a gray
        catbird, a red-bellied woodpecker ( could be the same one that
        stopped by at Dorothy Poole's yard a few days before the count),
        a clay-colored sparrow, and chipping sparrows.  </div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        I also tried to find the northern mockingbird behind Sobeys, but
        no luck and for the blue-winged teal in Brooklyn.  Also, not
        present today were three red-throated loons of which two had
        been off Fort Point and the other in the river.</div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        Also missed today was a Barrow's goldeneye that had been found
        in the river.  All I could find there today were common
        goldeneyes.  The cemetery had been hopping and I had about 23
        species there.  </div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        I did not have time to go out to Western Head to try for the
        northern gannets, the two species of murre, razorbills, Atlantic
        puffins and an orange-crowned warbler.  The later had been found
        at the turn down to Western Head Light and the other species
        seen at high tide off the lighthouse on Dec. 14.</div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        I'm hoping that someone will get chance to check out the Western
        Head light to see if any of those good birds are still moving
        past.</div>
        font-size:24pt; color:rgb(0,0,0)">
        font-size:24pt; c