[NatureNS] White Birch bark outside becomes inside of strip

From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@Dal.Ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 05:42:41 +0000

Hi Dave,
A comment from a few on-line posts from canoe makers and artists who use the bilayered bark.  When the bark is peeled usually in spring, it is pliable and curls in the natural direction, with the whiter outside convex as it is on the tree.  If left this way for months it will harden up and is impossible to unroll these coils by force without damaging them.  One method used to unroll these coils is to heat them or to steam them (also heat, obviously).
So your observations using more extreme heat (fire) simply continue to move the bilayer in the same direction as the bark unrolls describe, in your case with the white side apparently contracting even further so that the natural curvature eventually reverses.  Of course it could be the dark inside layer that expands, or that both layers are involved differentially a bit like a bimetallic strip used in old thermostats.

None of this speaks usefully to the mechanism.  Two prominent birch bark components are polymers cellulose and lignin, which cross link, and neither looks likely to form a condensed coiled structure that might mediate extreme contraction.
Steve