[NatureNS] Local bird names

From: NancyDowd <nancypdowd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 05:32:13 -0400
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

Many NS birders will know Jason Dain. He is compiling a collection of NS local bird names (Butterbills for Black Scoters, Gorbies for Canada jays…) and wants your input. This is best said in his words:

"With any living thing there is a hierarchy to the way things are named including domain, kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species. Scientists and technical folks use the genus and species to identify things so there is no uncertainty about what they are talking about if they used common or local names. An example of this would be for Snowy Owl the scientific name in latin is Bubo scandiacus. In my travels around NS I have found many variations for different species for example, the lobster fishermen around Peggy's Cove call Great Black-backed Gull Saddlebacks. I think it would be interesting to gather a list of all the local or traditional names for our NS species to see what we can come up with. I have created a quick survey in Google Forms to collect the info - sign in not required. I will share the info gathered after I've collected the responses. Thanks in advance!”
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScaJMefE72uKuwesdhEMVLpYlKLmoF1ov8znnEYssCcb6lRqQ/viewform

I, for one, will be interested to see the results, which I will put on NatureNS once produced.

Nancy D