[NatureNS] Banded Morash pintail 2018

From: Ken McKenna <kenmcken54@eastlink.ca>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2019 08:45:25 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

yle=3D"b

--Apple-Mail-E3257B03-AF1E-4E4B-B443-3161E9429543

Hi Paul

I forgot to mention the presentations on Tues were part of the Pictou Co Nat=
uralists this past Tues night- Some very interesting slides shown. It was qu=
ite a coincidence you report the banded Pintail day after the presentation  o=
n the bird which was photographed a year ago by Steve Vines who showed the s=
lide in his presentation. Even more of a coincidence was that Judy Kendell w=
as present at the talk and her husband Charlie, my good birding friend, who p=
assed away couple years ago may actually have been involved in banding that b=
ird. The Kendells were  Codroy Valley Newfoundlanders till moving to NS and C=
harlie at times assisted in banding ducks when he was home in the summer. He=
 may have banded that bird! =20

I have reported scores of banded birds over the years. I usually just google=
 =E2=80=9Creporting banded birds=E2=80=9D.  The site I use is https://www.pw=
rc.usgs.gov/BBL/bblretrv/
Usually hear back quite quickly if all numbers can be read. The centre for N=
orth America I believe is Patuxent Wildlife Centre Bird Banding Lab which is=
 US based.=20

Since I volunteer with Piping Plover guardian program, I usually just report=
 those bands directly to the NS program director who was Sue Abbott. She is m=
oving on from that position and a search is on for a new director.=20

My most interesting banded bird was a Whimbrel which had been banded in MacK=
enzie Delta  and which had also been fitted with a radio collar at the time.=
 It was traced back on forth on migration to Brazil till transmitter was los=
t and my report was first after a few years of no contact. The migration rou=
te was very interesting down the east coast in fall migration and up the wes=
t coast in spring. Finding banded birds adds to the interest in observing bi=
rd behaviour.=20

All the best
Ken=20

Sent from my iPad
Ken McKenna
Stellarton=20
NS=20

> On Feb 8, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Paul Murray <pwmurray.murray911@gmail.com> wro=
te:
>=20
> Ken,
> Thanks for the updated band info - I updated my photos to include it in th=
e captions.   I'm curious.....why does the band appear to have a USA contact=
 address on it - specifically, it looks to me like "Lauren, Maryland with a 1=
-800 327-.... phone number?     Is that a central registry?  =20
>=20
> This is my fourth occasion finding identifiable bands or tags.  A couple o=
f years ago I got a tagged Piping Plover at White Point Lodge - he was well d=
ocumented locally and authorities were on site at the time!    In 2018 I had=
 2 Piping Plovers Tag V4 and Tag N1 at Conrad Beach in May - I was only prov=
ided info for one of them, a Nova Scotia bird;  then I had a Ring-Billed Gul=
l at Salt Marsh Trail in November - ID'd as a bird from Massachusetts via Un=
iversity of Quebec by Prof. Giroux.   I reported all except the White Point P=
P via "NatureNS".
>=20
> Do we have a local contact in NS Bird Society where you go to report band a=
nd tag info when I come across it next?
>=20
> Paul Murray
> Dartmouth
>=20
>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 8:09 PM Ken McKenna <kenmcken54@eastlink.ca> wrote=
:
>> Hi all
>>=20
>> On Tues night at the members night, Steve Vines showed a flight shot of a=
  banded Northern Pintail he saw Jan 2018 in Morash Park.=20
>> Details from the band are below. No doubt likely the same bird as Paul=E2=
=80=99s=20
>>=20
>> Cheers
>> Ken McKenna
>> Plymouth=20
>>=20
>>=20
>> Band number: 1116-97805
>> Species: Northern Pintail
>> How obtained: Sight record: band read by telescope or other means while b=
ird was free.
>> Status of Bird/Band: Alive - Unknown/Left On Bird
>> Remarks: Seen in a Park in Dartmouth Nova Scotia
>> Date of recovery: Jan 27, 2018
>> Location of recovery:=20
>> Coordinates: Lat/Lon 44.67028 -63.57750
>> Morash Park
>> Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
>>=20
>>=20
>> INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
>> Species: Northern Pintail
>> Date banded: 09/15/2013
>> Banding Location: SEARSTON, NEWFOUNDLAND AND LABRADOR, CANADA
>> Age: HATCHED IN 2013
>> Sex: MALE
>>=20
>>=20
>> Ken McKenna
>> Box 218 =20
>> Stellarton
>> NS B0K 1S0
>>=20

--Apple-Mail-E3257B03-AF1E-4E4B-B443-3161E9429543

e presentations on Tues were part of the Pictou Co Naturalists this past Tue=
s night- Some very interesting slides shown. It was quite a coincidence you r=
eport the banded Pintail day after the presentation &nbsp;on the bird which w=
as photographed a year ago by Steve Vines who showed the slide in his presen=
tation. Even more of a coincidence was that Judy Kendell was present at the t=
alk and her husband Charlie, my good birding friend, who passed away couple y=
ears ago may actually have been involved in banding that bird. The Kendells w=
ere &nbsp;Codroy Valley Newfoundlanders till moving to NS and Charlie at tim=
rds=E2=80=9D. &nbsp;The site I use is&nbsp;<a href=3D"https://www.pwrc.usgs.=
ally hear back quite quickly if all numbers can be read. The centre for Nort=
h America I believe is Patuxent Wildlife Centre Bird Banding Lab which is US=
uardian program, I usually just report those bands directly to the NS progra=
m director who was Sue Abbott. She is moving on from that position and a sea=
ting banded bird was a Whimbrel which had been banded in MacKenzie Delta &nb=
sp;and which had also been fitted with a radio collar at the time. It was tr=