[NatureNS] AI and species ID?

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 17:22:28 +0000

--_000_DM6PR18MB250600B7D86A51E6B12F177DB7620DM6PR18MB2506namp_

HI All,
     I recently watched an interview on how AI is revolutionizing diagnosti=
c medical care and it got me to thinking about how that same revolution sho=
uld be happening in the world of how we diagnose the ID's of flora and faun=
a. Like many of you, I spend a lot of my time trying to identify bird and i=
nsect photos by comparing them to online photos and descriptions. When I hi=
t a problem species I go online to sites like naturens or ask an expert for=
 help.
      Over the past decade or two the number of online sites and amount of =
data to help in these searches has grown exponentially but we still need to=
 do the do much of the searching in by comparing our photo to possible onli=
ne matches. Does anyone know of any research into using advances in; facial=
 recognition, fingerprint and/or retina scans and AI medical diagnostic tec=
hniques for identifying bird and or insect species?  I think we should soon=
 be able to take a good quality photo of a bird or insect and use a species=
 diagnostic computer program to ID what species it is likely to be just lik=
e we use similar programs to compare fingerprints.
       I don't expect there are any current usable programs out there but I=
'd be interested in knowing about any research happening in the field. All =
the best.
            Fritz McEvoy
            Sunrise Valley, CB (near Dingwall)

--_000_DM6PR18MB250600B7D86A51E6B12F177DB7620DM6PR18MB2506namp_

<head>
1">
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
HI All,&nbsp;</div>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I recently watched an interview on how AI is revolution=
izing diagnostic medical care and it got me to thinking about how that same=
 revolution should be happening in the world of how we diagnose the ID's of=
 flora and fauna. Like many of you, I spend a lot
 of my time trying to identify bird and insect photos by comparing them to =
online photos and descriptions. When I hit a problem species I go online to=
 sites like naturens or ask an expert for help.&nbsp;</div>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Over the past decade or two the number of online sites=
 and amount of data to help in these searches has grown exponentially but w=
e still need to do the do much of the searching in by comparing our photo t=
o possible online matches. Does anyone know of
 any research into using advances in; facial recognition, fingerprint and/o=
r retina scans and AI medical diagnostic techniques for identifying bird an=
d or insect species?&nbsp; I think we should soon be able to take a good qu=
ality photo of a bird or insect and use
 a species diagnostic computer program to ID what species it is likely to b=
e just like we use similar programs to compare fingerprints.&nbsp;</div>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I don't expect there are any current usable prog=
rams out there but I'd be interested in knowing about any research happenin=
g in the field. All the best.&nbsp;</div>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Fritz McEvoy&nbsp;</div>
 color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Sunrise Valley, CB (near Dingwall=
)</div>

--_000_DM6PR18MB250600B7D86A51E6B12F177DB7620DM6PR18MB2506namp_--