[NatureNS] AI and species ID?

From: Rick Whitman <dendroica.caerulescens@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 14:36:13 -0400
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--0000000000006f760f05821b4a4b

Hi Fritz,
I've never used this but I think it's pretty much what you described, esp.
if you have a good photo.

http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org

Rick Whitman

On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 13:35, Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com> wrote:

> HI All,
>      I recently watched an interview on how AI is revolutionizing
> diagnostic medical care and it got me to thinking about how that same
> revolution should be happening in the world of how we diagnose the ID's of
> flora and fauna. Like many of you, I spend a lot of my time trying to
> identify bird and insect photos by comparing them to online photos and
> descriptions. When I hit a problem species I go online to sites like
> naturens or ask an expert for help.
>       Over the past decade or two the number of online sites and amount of
> data to help in these searches has grown exponentially but we still need to
> do the do much of the searching in by comparing our photo to possible
> online matches. Does anyone know of any research into using advances in;
> facial recognition, fingerprint and/or retina scans and AI medical
> diagnostic techniques for identifying bird and or insect species?  I think
> we should soon be able to take a good quality photo of a bird or insect and
> use a species diagnostic computer program to ID what species it is likely
> to be just like we use similar programs to compare fingerprints.
>        I don't expect there are any current usable programs out there but
> I'd be interested in knowing about any research happening in the field. All
> the best.
>             Fritz McEvoy
>             Sunrise Valley, CB (near Dingwall)

--0000000000006f760f05821b4a4b

t I think it&#39;s pretty much what you described, esp. if you have a good =
=3D"gmail_attr">On Sun, 17 Feb 2019 at 13:35, Fritz McEvoy &lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com">fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204,204,20=
4);padding-left:1ex">

:rgb(0,0,0)">
HI All,=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I recently watched an interview on how AI is revolution=
izing diagnostic medical care and it got me to thinking about how that same=
 revolution should be happening in the world of how we diagnose the ID&#39;=
s of flora and fauna. Like many of you, I spend a lot
 of my time trying to identify bird and insect photos by comparing them to =
online photos and descriptions. When I hit a problem species I go online to=
 sites like naturens or ask an expert for help.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Over the past decade or two the number of online sites=
 and amount of data to help in these searches has grown exponentially but w=
e still need to do the do much of the searching in by comparing our photo t=
o possible online matches. Does anyone know of
 any research into using advances in; facial recognition, fingerprint and/o=
r retina scans and AI medical diagnostic techniques for identifying bird an=
d or insect species?=C2=A0 I think we should soon be able to take a good qu=
ality photo of a bird or insect and use
 a species diagnostic computer program to ID what species it is likely to b=
e just like we use similar programs to compare fingerprints.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0I don&#39;t expect there are any current usable =
programs out there but I&#39;d be interested in knowing about any research =
happening in the field. All the best.=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Fritz McEvoy=C2=A0</div>
:rgb(0,0,0)">
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 Sunrise Valley, CB (near Dingwall=
)</div>

--0000000000006f760f05821b4a4b--