[NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "Frederick W. Schueler" <bckcdb@istar.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2019 22:55:11 -0500

On 25-Feb.-19 10:10 p.m., Donna Crossland wrote:
> This is a wonderful initiative.  I will finally hone some skills with
> iNaturalist, so it seems.  Bev and others will be good teachers.  What
> better use of a naturalist's time than combing our public forests for
> nature's treasures?

* but you're going to have to formalize your results in documents, sent
in multiple copies to the attention of the ministries in charge,
because, at least in Ontario, the environment ministries and
environmental assessment rackets are well-blinkered experts in ignoring
the ordinary sources of knowledge about biodiversity: museum
collections, the peer reviewed and local natural history published
literature, and online provincial & national databases. They only heed
their own internal grey literature unless their noses are rubbed in some
more conventional info.  I bet they're almost as good at ignoring eBird
and iNat as they have been at ignoring the Ontario herp atlases.

When we were reviewing http://www.dumpthisdump2.ca/ I published a first
record of a clover species for Ontario east of Windsor from the proposed
dump site in Trail & Landscape - the only local natural history journal
- and they missed both that and a paper about a SAR we'd found, but
they'd missed, at the site, that was peer-reviewed in the Canadian
Field-Naturalist.

So call it a serial publication, "Ground-Truthing Nova Scotia Forests"
or something, and put out an issue for each of your trips, send pdf's to
ministry officials, and deposit a hard copy with Andrew Hebda at the NS
Museum, and maybe at the NB Museum so you'll have an out of province
repository.

fred.