Re[2]: [NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing sites

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 17:22:44 +0000

&gt; &gt; Further to what John Kearn
--------=_MBA226DE41-D30D-4F15-9BB2-64E9D3221AE2

Hi John and All.
  I think your statement that "there should be a public demand for the=20
government to make biodiversity inventories and ecological impact=20
assessment a requirement for forestry operations on Crown land" is=20
overkill. Such assessments are for good reasons required when the=20
proposal is to replace forest cover by highways, pipelines....because=20
forest cover is lost. Clearcut woodlands grow back quickly and=20
herbaceous or small woody plants briefly have less competition and more=20
light.
     However documenting plant cover and animal activity before cutting=20
is a great idea. Someone might locate e.g. a patch of Rhododendron=20
maximum or Selaginella rupestris along with any number of rarely=20
encountered plants. Survival or recovery of small stands of rare plants=20
does not come with a guarantee whether disturbed or not but soil=20
disturbance or release from competition  will tend, at least briefly, to=20
increase their abundance/incidence.
     From the 60s onward plant distributions have been greatly altered by=
=20
contiguous bands of disturbed soil along 100 series highways, ATV=20
traffic and transport of logging and earth moving equipment which carry=20
seeds, spores or roots  around. For example a once rare Equisetum=20
variegatum is now a common weed of disturbed woodland soil in Kings=20
county.  Consequently well isolated, rarely cut woodland may offer an=20
opportunity to see "natural" distributions. Not so many years ago almost=20
all logging was in the winter using horses so there was less opportunity=20
for transport of seeds over long distances.
     Strategies for survival are no doubt diverse but one frequent ploy=20
is being able to grow where many larger plants can not e.g. Selaginella=20
rupestis and Asplenium viride on isolated boulders or ledges. Seeing a=20
plant at many sites can reveal the otherwise hidden key factor. For=20
example Arisaema stewardsonii is usually found in seasonally wet areas,=20
suggesting that it needs seasonal wetness, but the most vigorous plants=20
I ever saw (about 1970 and a metre high) were on a steep and still=20
sliding spoil bank generated by construction of the 101 south of=20
Kentville. This would suggest that it needs disturbed soil; either by=20
frost action in low areas (the growth of ice whiskers in wet soil=20
results in natural cultivation) or other means.
     In closing, and based on a fair amount of walking in woodland remote=
=20
from roads or paths, my general impression is that plant diversity and=20
intensity of biological activity both tend to decrease with stand age;=20
especially if you exclude tiny ferns and the like which survive in=20
isolated systems such as rock ledges and erratic boulders in otherwise=20
hostile woodland.
Yt, DW, Kentville