[NatureNS] Crown land forests - suggestions for ground-truthing sites

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2019 19:45:33 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

catch and meas
Hello John, and all,

Thanks for the input about water regimes.  This is also a concern we
are hearing from local residents here in Annapolis county.  People
close to some of the extensive clearcuts on the South Mountain have
experienced unusual flooding with mud and water around their homes
since the intensive clearcutting began.  They say it is unlike
anything they have seen in the past although they have lived at those
locations for decades.

I live on Round Hill Brook -- a length of my property runs along the
shore.  This will be my 10th season here.  When I first came here, the
brook was always a little wild after spring break-up, but through
summer, it was intermittent -- by July, it was really getting slow and
I would often take my dogs for long wades while I photographed plants
and insects alongs the shore and in the waters.  After a good rain,
there would be more flow for a few days -- but nothing crazy.  I would
still go wading with the dogs or cool off sitting in a nice pool at
the bend between my shore and a little island.  The flow was just
brisk enough to sort of flush out the brook a bit.  However, for the
past three summers, the story is completely different.  The brook
level is usually somewhat higher, but what is conspicuous is that it's
practically like a flash flood after a heavy rain -- really fierce.
The water must be entering the brook very quickly upstream on the
South Mountain.  It can be really blasting as it comes past my place.
You wouldn't dream of wading in it when it's like this.  I can check
the level against a huge granite boulder at a bend in the stream and
it never used to be more than 2/3 covered at best -- but now is often
almost overtopped.  In one of these periods of wild water, I watched
helplessly from shore as a large brood of ducklings were swept away
out of a sheltered spot on the shore. There was no recovering them --
they were all swept downstream so quickly.  I ran along the river
seeing them bobbing and peeping as they were carried away -- no doubt
out to the confluence with the Annapolis River.  I probably need not
say that I don't let my dogs walk near the brook when it is behaving
this way in summer.  I have asked my neighbour who lives across the
brook whether he's ever seen the brook act like this in summer.  He
says not (I think he's been at his place about 40 years).  He feels
that it is from all the harvesting happening up on the South Mountain
above us.  I believe he is right.  I've spoken to people living at the
lower end of a couple of the other brooks coming down off the South
Mountain and they feel the same way -- that the water is just shedding
off the range and blasting down the brooks and out in to the Annapolis
River.  What will that do to the soil ecology up on the South
Mountain?  It is already so thin over all that granite.  Also, what is
happening to aquatic life?  I used to have lots of Ebony Jewelwing
damselflies here every summer, but have not seen more than a handful
for the past couple of summers.  There used to be lots of glass eels
(Anguilla rostrata) too -- many in early summer.  I could not find
very many this year and I'm guessing they probably got blasted away
during some of these rains.

Well, these are matters that should concern all of us in these times
where higher temperatures, more wind, more drought, will have an
impact on soil and watershed.

Bev