[NatureNS] Port Williams Tree Swallow Nest Boxes Update

From: George Forsyth <ge4syth@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 16:07:18 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--0000000000002ad19e058426c053

Hi All,

I just came in from cleaning the Tree Swallow nest boxes that I have
erected at the Port Williams, Kings Co sewer treatment ponds. The boxes are
either attached to the power poles going out to the ponds, or on fence
posts around the pond. There are sixteen boxes in total. The ponds are
about 2.3 hectares (5.7 acres), and the distance from the first box to the
farthest box is 200 meters. So it is only a small area, but very productive!

Nine of the boxes had complete nests, with feathers, and appeared to have
partly decomposed feces. So a little over fifty percent successful.
There was one nest with four unhatched eggs, two nests with grass but no
feathers, one box with feathers but no grass. One box had a nest with one
dead adult bird and at least one juvenile bird, both badly decomposed. One
box was successful but not for Tree Swallows, it had a wasp comb on the
underside of the roof, and some wasps that were crawling around inside the
box, I left all of this in the box.

The nine used boxes could have produced up to thirty six fledglings!

See my eBird checklist from 25 May 2018. for some photos, one of a male
Tree Swallow with a leg band. I would be interesting to know where it was
banded.
https://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S46017417

Waiting for the return of the Tree Swallows to Port Williams. 2018 I saw
some on 22 April, 2017 on the 11 of April! so not really that long of a
wait.

Cheers, George Forsyth

--0000000000002ad19e058426c053

ave erected at the Port Williams, Kings Co sewer treatment ponds. The boxes=
 are either attached to the power poles going out to the ponds, or on fence=
 posts around the pond. There are sixteen boxes in total. The ponds are abo=
ut 2.3 hectares (5.7 acres), and the distance from the first box to the far=
thest box is 200 meters. So it is only a small area, but very productive!<b=
r><br></div>Nine of the boxes had complete nests, with feathers, and appear=
ed to have partly decomposed feces. So a little over fifty percent successf=
ul. <br>There was one nest with four unhatched eggs, two nests with grass b=
ut no feathers, one box with feathers but no grass. One box had a nest with=
 one dead adult bird and at least one juvenile bird, both badly decomposed.=
 One box was successful but not for Tree Swallows, it had a wasp comb on th=
e underside of the roof, and some wasps that were crawling around inside th=
klist from 25 May 2018. for some photos, one of a male Tree Swallow with a =
leg band. I would be interesting to know where it was banded.<br><a href=3D=
"https://ebird.org/canada/view/checklist/S46017417">https://ebird.org/canad=