[NatureNS] Common Ladys Slipper, ice barriers and Soil slaking

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
From: David <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 18:52:27 +0000

--------=_MBF2818BB8-F098-4F79-B62F-DEAA597C90FC

Dear All,
     Some of you may remember that for a number of years I recorded the=20
flowering, fruiting and grazing damage of about 100 numbered Common Lady=20
Slipper plants in one relatively small area of woodland.
     After one strange winter (2008-2009 ??) when soil under snow cover=20
.was sheathed with ~3 cm of ice they nearly all died (I am not sure in=20
which year I found this to be so without plowing through a stack of=20
notes but I think it was a year or more after 2009).
     I do not recall now to what I attributed their death but am now=20
reasonably sure it was oxygen deprivation. Soil respiration continues=20
year round until temperature is near zero. So a soil profile, sealed in=20
by a layer of surface ice would quickly become anaerobic and Lady=20
Slippers, not being swamp plants, would be unlikely to tolerate lack of=20
Oxygen.
     This condition of ice over soil was true in many locations this=20
winter and frost in soil was likely more than 3' deep. The lawn out back=20
has previously been well drained but this year hydraulic conductivity=20
has approached zero; the slightest rain leads to immediate ponding and=20
eventually to runoff with apparently little or no infiltration.
      I suspect this change was due to deep frost, followed much later by=
=20
slow thawing from the surface downward often aided by rain,
so that the topsoil aggregates became seriously slaked.  This not only=20
slows infiltration of water to near zero but impedes the movement of=20
Oxygen into the soil. I had not anticipated that a wetland soil could be=20
generated in one winter but that seems to have happened. Is Anhydrite=20
still available in the Windsor area ?
YT, DW, Kentville
--------=_MBF2818BB8-F098-4F79-B62F-DEAA597C90FC

blockquote.cite { margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc }
blockquote.cite2 {margin-left: 5px; margin-right: 0px; padding-left: 10px;=
 padding-right:0px; border-left: 1px solid #cccccc; margin-top: 3px; padding=
-top: 0px; }
a img { border: 0px; }
li[style=3D'text-align: center;'], li[style=3D'text-align: right;'] {  list=
-style-position: inside;}
body { font-family: Segoe UI; font-size: 12pt;   }
</head>
r of years I recorded the flowering, fruiting and grazing damage of about 1=
00 numbered Common Lady Slipper plants in one relatively small area of wood=
land.</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0After one strange winter (2008-2009 =
??) when soil under snow cover .was sheathed with ~3 cm of ice they nearly =
all died (I am not sure in which year I found this to be so without plowin=
g through a stack of notes but I think it was a year or more after 2009).=
=C2=A0</div><div>=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I do not recall now to what I attr=
ibuted their death but am now reasonably sure it was oxygen deprivation. So=
il respiration continues year round until temperature is near zero. So a so=
il profile, sealed in by a layer of surface ice would quickly become anaero=
bic and Lady Slippers, not being swamp plants, would be unlikely to tolerat=
e lack of Oxygen.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0<span class=3D"Apple-tab-spa=
n" style=3D"font-size: 12pt; white-space: pre;">	</span>This condition of i=
ce over soil was true in many locations this winter and frost in soil was l=
ikely more than 3' deep. The lawn out back has previously been well drained =
but this year hydraulic conductivity has approached zero; the slightest ra=
in leads to immediate ponding and eventually to runoff with apparently litt=
le or no infiltration.</div><div>=C2=A0 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0I suspect this ch=
ange was due to deep frost, followed much later by slow thawing from the su=
rface downward often aided by rain, =C2=A0</div><div>so that the topsoil ag=
gregates became seriously slaked. =C2=A0This not only slows infiltration of =
water to near zero but impedes the movement of Oxygen into the soil. I had =
not anticipated that a wetland soil could be generated in one winter but t=
hat seems to have happened. Is Anhydrite still available in the Windsor are=
--------=_MBF2818BB8-F098-4F79-B62F-DEAA597C90FC--