[NatureNS] NAMC

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Doug Linzey <doug@fundymud.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2019 23:24:48 -0300

gif"&gt;&l
Here's what we're telling members of the Blomidon Naturalists Society
(BNS) in our Spring 2019 newsletter. The words are from Larry Bogan, who
organized the Kings County NAMC for the previous 7 years:

Background: A migration bird count has been done on the second Saturday
of May since Judy Tufts initiated it here in Kings County in 1993. At
first it was called the North American Migration Count—there were
similar surveys on that date across Nova Scotia and North America. The
popularity of the survey faded over the years, and it eventually became
the Nova Scotia Migration Count (NSMC), the collation of the survey
being done by the Nova Scotia Bird Society. In 2018 the Bird Society
stopped collecting the data, and the migration count became an orphan. I
had taken over collation of the Kings County NSMC in 2011 and have
decided that 2018 was the last year for me. So, NSMC is no more.

Suggestion: A few years ago, eBird started the Global Big Day (GBD) on
the first Saturday of May, one week ahead of the usual NSMC time.
Many BNS members are already regular users of eBird. I imagine that GBD
and the resources of eBird might fill in somewhat for the NSMC. So I
urge members to join eBird and plan to enjoy birding on May 4 this year.
After your day of birding, report your checklist to eBird, which will
summarize the results of the surveys done on GBD, and you will be able
to view the surveys of other participants as well as your own.

Join eBird at http:\\www.ebird.org

[Posted by Doug Linzey, Blomidon Naturalists Society]