[NatureNS] Creeping Juniper (Juniperus horizontalis)

From: David Patriquin <davidgpatriquin@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2019 21:01:04 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000d3e8cb05855970e9

B, a pic showing habitat distribution of Juniper horizontalis and J.
communis at Chebucto head is posted at
http://versicolor.ca/nswfsOLDsite/species/Ericaceae/crowberriesAll/Dec4Slope.html

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello fellow botanists,
>
> while walking today in the Herring Cove Provincial Park Reserve, along
> the coast, between granite outcrops in the coastal barrens,  I found
> these two twigs on the same plant (photo at iNaturalist,
> https://inaturalist.ca/observations/21797238).
>
> To me, the smaller one is clearly creeping juniper. The larger twig
> looks different, and further on the trail, there were many places
> where both forms were growing on the same plant. The scaly form was
> more frequent, the spiny form restricted to locations where the twig
> was less exposed (between other plants, off the barren granite).
>
> Any comments/info appreciated.
> Burkhard

--000000000000d3e8cb05855970e9

lis and J. communis at Chebucto head is posted at=C2=A0<a href=3D"http://ve=
rsicolor.ca/nswfsOLDsite/species/Ericaceae/crowberriesAll/Dec4Slope.html">h=
ttp://versicolor.ca/nswfsOLDsite/species/Ericaceae/crowberriesAll/Dec4Slope=
il_attr">On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 5:29 PM Burkhard Plache &lt;<a href=3D"mai=
lto:burkhardplache@gmail.com">burkhardplache@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></=
div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bor=
der-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hello fellow botanist=
s,<br>
while walking today in the Herring Cove Provincial Park Reserve, along<br>
the coast, between granite outcrops in the coastal barrens,=C2=A0 I found<b=
r>
these two twigs on the same plant (photo at iNaturalist,<br>
 target=3D"_blank">https://inaturalist.ca/observations/21797238</a>).<br>
To me, the smaller one is clearly creeping juniper. The larger twig<br>
looks different, and further on the trail, there were many places<br>
where both forms were growing on the same plant. The scaly form was<br>
more frequent, the spiny form restricted to locations where the twig<br>
was less exposed (between other plants, off the barren granite).<br>
Any comments/info appreciated.<br>
Burkhard<br>

--000000000000d3e8cb05855970e9--