[NatureNS] Big bang, scattering and red shift

From: Burkhard Plache <burkhardplache@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2019 19:43:15 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi David, you are placing many questions in a brief paragraph.

You are contemplating a 'mysterious loss of energy'.
You need to keep in mind that energy conservation does not apply on
cosmological scales.
The term 'energy' as a conserved quantity cannot be defined for the
cosmos, when taking Einstein's Gravity as the underlying theory. One
of those situations where extrapolation from the small to the big does
not work.

Your other question is better understood.
When light (a photon) of some wavelength is absorbed, many things can happen.
The simplest is 'elastic scattering' (Rayleigh scattering), where a
photon of the same wavelength (energy) is emitted. Essentially, the
photon plays billiard with the scatterer, which can be e.g., a atom or
molecule.
Then there is 'inelastic scattering', where energy is transferred
(either from or to the photon), resulting in longer of shorter
wavelength.
Both these scatterings are essentially instantaneous.

When using the term 'absorption', a time delay is implied. The photon
causes a change in the absorber. In the simplest case, an atom is
moved from one energy state into another, and the incoming photon is
'consumed' in the process. After some time, the high energy atom can
then decay back into its original state, emitting a photon of the
original energy (wavelength) in the process.
Alternatively, the atom can decay back into its original state via two
steps, emitting two photons in the process, the sum of the which is
the energy of the original photon.
Dust in the cosmos works in such a way: The photon is absorbed, and
the decay happens in multiple small steps, essentially converting the
initial photon into many lower energy photons.

And if you want to look into a really interesting absorber, consider
what happens in chlorophyll ;-)
But that is better left to a good textbook.

Burkhard