[NatureNS] Nocturnal migration for the 1st week of April

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 21:23:41 -0300

--------------527351C626D6D9C2BD3ACE48

A fascinating account of our early returning migrants.  I appreciate
seeing these updates.  That fox sparrow touched down at my mother's
house just a couple of days ago in East Dalhousie, Kings County.  (Well
perhaps it was another, of course.)  Mom commented that each year she
observes only one fox sparrow, never more than that-scratching about
under the feeder.

Donna Crossland

On 2019-04-08 4:35 p.m., John Kearney wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Nocturnal migration monitoring at Beaver River, Yarmouth County, began
> on the evening of April 1st. High winds for the first five days of the
> week resulted in few call detections except for small numbers of
> Canada Geese that were either local breeding birds or a few stragglers
> that had not yet headed north. With the diminution of winds on the
> nights beginning on April 6 and 7, there was a small passerine
> migration consisting of Song Sparrows and a Fox Sparrow. An Eastern
> Phoebe was flitting near the monitoring station after dawn on both
> days. Other nocturnal calls on those nights included Mallard/American
> Black Duck, Green-winged Teal, and a Great Blue Heron.
>
> John

---

--------------527351C626D6D9C2BD3ACE48

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
      appreciate seeing these updates.  That fox sparrow touched down at
      my mother's house just a couple of days ago in East Dalhousie,
      Kings County.  (Well perhaps it was another, of course.)  Mom
      commented that each year she observes only one fox sparrow, never
      more than that-scratching about under the feeder.</p>
      wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:000001d4ee42$35f8ff70$a1eafe50$@gmail.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        medium)">
/* Font Definitions */
@font-face
	{font-family:"Cambria Math";
	panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:Calibri;
	panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;}
@font-face
	{font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}
/* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0cm;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Comic Sans MS";
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{mso-style-priority:99;
	color:purple;
	text-decoration:underline;}
span.EmailStyle17
	{mso-style-type:personal-compose;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	color:windowtext;}
.MsoChpDefault
	{mso-style-type:export-only;
	font-family:"Calibri",sans-serif;
	mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}
@page WordSection1
	{size:612.0pt 792.0pt;
	margin:72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt 72.0pt;}
div.WordSection1
	{page:WordSection1;}
--></style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="1026" />
<o:shapelayout v:ext="edit">
<o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1" />
</o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]-->
            All<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            migration monitoring at Beaver River, Yarmouth County, began
            on the evening of April 1st. High winds for the first five
            days of the week resulted in few call detections except for
            small numbers of Canada Geese that were either local
            breeding birds or a few stragglers that had not yet headed
            north. With the diminution of winds on the nights beginning
            on April 6 and 7, there was a small passerine migration
            consisting of Song Sparrows and a Fox Sparrow. An Eastern
            Phoebe was flitting near the monitoring station after dawn
            on both days. Other nocturnal calls on those nights included
            Mallard/American Black Duck, Green-winged Teal, and a Great
            Blue Heron.<o:p></o:p></span></p>
            style="font-size:12.0pt"><o:p></o:p></span></p>

--------------527351C626D6D9C2BD3ACE48--