[NatureNS] A delightful night for herptiles

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 07:16:35 -0300

Hi Donna and All,

     Your experience with a pond only three years old sounds like the
magic of habitat. Or a variant of "If you build it they will come."
Nothing beats being in the right place at the right time.

     With regard to acidity of your mom's pond, Gypsum would increase
dissolved Calcium but would not raise the pH.

     Hydrated lime would act rapidly but could have toxic effects from
localized high pH (a squirt of that will blind). Agricultural limestone
at about 5 tons per acre would be safe, and effective if well scattered,
but best monitored because the particles might become smothered under
leaves. The coarse limestone sold for gardening is of doubtful value but
will last for many generations. The solubility of Calcium Carbonate
decreases rapidly with increase in pH so each particle generates an
environment in which CaCO3 is insoluble.

     I have usually found Salamanders by accident; rotten logs, under
bark or cavities in wood. How long does the swarming in ponds last ?

Dave W. Kentville