[NatureNS] Garter Snake, Waverley

From: Peter Payzant <peter@payzant.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2019 16:44:56 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Today as we were walking along the Trans-Canada Trail near Waverley, we came upon a Garter Snake stretched out on the trail, apparently basking in the weak sun. After we had admired it for a while, it suddenly folded up into the stereotypical S-shape of Hollywood snakes, and from then on struck at us if we got too close.

The mouth, wide open during the strikes, was pale pink inside.

It seems strange that it was so aggressive. Normally they are pretty shy and disappear as soon as they detect you. Maybe it had just had enough of the dogs and cyclists :)

- - - Peter Payzant