[NatureNS] Tree Swallow nest box report

From: Fritz McEvoy <fritzmcevoy@hotmail.com>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2019 16:07:05 +0000

--_000_BYAPR13MB2774F192A90B63DCF156FD9EB7300BYAPR13MB2774namp_

Hi All,
     I finally finished cleaning out my Tree Swallow boxes yesterday and ha=
ve some interesting findings.
    There were 30 boxes checked this spring but only 25 were available for =
nesting last year. Five boxes were left as is last season because they had =
either active flying squirrel nests or were near active squirrel nests. Thi=
s year I was able to clean out and remove four of those boxes for repair an=
d relocation to a better location. The fifth box contained a red squirrel a=
nd was again left  as is for now.
     The 25 other boxes were cleaned out, repaired and relocated where need=
ed. Twelve of the boxes contained Tree Swallow nests with breeding evidence=
. Two of these nests had egg shells and none had dead chicks. There were no=
 partial nests.  There was 1 flying squirrel nest, 1 partial flying squirre=
l nest and 1 contained a red squirrel and roost/nest (I observed the squirr=
el bring nesting materials into the box). The box left was left as is for n=
ow.
      June 2018 was a frigid month here and the tree swallows did not did n=
ot construct nests or breed during that period. They left the area in late =
June but returned in mid July when weather conditions were warmer. They the=
n proceeded to build nests and breed in Mid to late July. This is when the =
12 nests mentioned above were constructed. I've never seen this behavior be=
fore but it is interesting.
       Last season I made  and mounted 25 predator guards (3"x 3"  x 1/4" p=
lexi with a 1 1/2" hole) on the boxes not left as is for the flying squirre=
ls. The results of this experiment were positive but mixed. None of the gua=
rds showed any sign of squirrel damage but three had either red or flying s=
quirrel roosts/nests and in one I observed a red squirrel entering a box wi=
th nesting materials. This tells me that squirrels (both red and flying) ha=
ve no problem entering a nest box through the 1 1/2" hole that is accepted =
as standard in the nest box literature. Whether a squirrel can use the box =
for breeding seems unlikely (a pregnant squirrel would be pretty big for an=
 1 1/2" hole) but it seems using it has a roost or for predation could be p=
ossible. I'll check the box in a couple of weeks a to confirm if its a nest=
 or roost.
       I can't find much info on whether a smaller hole size will keep tree=
 swallows from using the nest box or how small a hole is required to keep o=
ut squirrels. All the commercial predator guards I saw on line had 1 1/2" h=
oles and I saw no reports of them not keeping out squirrels. It's all a puz=
zle to me. All the best.
              Fritz McEvoy
 Sunrise Valley (near Dingwall)

--_000_BYAPR13MB2774F192A90B63DCF156FD9EB7300BYAPR13MB2774namp_

<head>
1">
ttom:0;} </style>
</head>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
Hi All,&nbsp;</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I finally finished cleaning out my Tree Swallow boxes y=
esterday and have some interesting findings.&nbsp;</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; There were 30 boxes checked this spring but only 25 were avai=
lable for nesting last year. Five boxes were left as is last season because=
 they had either active flying squirrel nests or were near active squirrel =
nests. This year I was able to clean out and
 remove four of those boxes for repair and relocation to a better location.=
 The fifth box contained a red squirrel and was again left&nbsp; as is for =
now.</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;The 25 other boxes were cleaned out, repaired and reloc=
ated where needed. Twelve of the boxes contained Tree Swallow nests with br=
eeding evidence. Two of these nests had egg shells and none had dead chicks=
. There were no partial nests.&nbsp; There was 1 flying
 squirrel nest, 1 partial flying squirrel nest and 1 contained a red squirr=
el and roost/nest (I observed the squirrel bring nesting materials into the=
 box). The box left was left as is for now.</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; June 2018 was a frigid month here and the tree swallow=
s did not did not construct nests or breed during that period. They left th=
e area in late June but returned in mid July when weather conditions were w=
armer. They then proceeded to build nests and breed
 in Mid to late July. This is when the 12 nests mentioned above were constr=
ucted. I've never seen this behavior before but it is interesting.</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Last season I made&nbsp; and mounted 25 predator=
 guards (3&quot;x 3&quot;&nbsp; x 1/4&quot; plexi with a 1 1/2&quot; hole) =
on the boxes not left as is for the flying squirrels. The results of this e=
xperiment were positive but mixed. None of the guards showed any sign of sq=
uirrel
 damage but three had either red or flying squirrel roosts/nests and in one=
 I observed a red squirrel entering a box with nesting materials. This tell=
s me that squirrels (both red and flying) have no problem entering a nest b=
ox through the 1 1/2&quot; hole that
 is accepted as standard in the nest box literature. Whether a squirrel can=
 use the box for breeding seems unlikely (a pregnant squirrel would be pret=
ty big for an 1 1/2&quot; hole) but it seems using it has a roost or for pr=
edation could be possible. I'll check
 the box in a couple of weeks a to confirm if its a nest or roost.</div>
or:rgb(0,0,0)">
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I can't find much info on whether a smaller hole=
 size will keep tree swallows from using the nest box or how small a hole i=
s required to keep out squirrels. All the commercial predator guards I saw =
on line had 1 1/2&quot; holes and I saw no reports of them
 not keeping out squirrels. It's all a puzzle to me. All the best.&nbsp;<br=

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Fritz McEvoy</div>