[NatureNS] Tree Swallow nest box report

Date: Mon, 06 May 2019 17:10:53 -0300
From: bdigout <bdigout@seaside.ns.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

weeks.=A0 I&amp;#8217;d never hea
--=_2838068924f87fcbbea9a76ce460785a

Hi Fritz;

I've made my swallow boxes with a hole 1 1/4 in. height
and I used a rasp to widen it to 1 1/2 in. This at least keeps out House
sparrows. It might work for squirrels as well.

Billy

On 06 May 2019
13:07, Fritz McEvoy wrote:

> Hi All,
> I finally finished cleaning
out my Tree Swallow boxes yesterday and have some interesting findings.

> There were 30 boxes checked this spring but only 25 were available
for nesting last year. Five boxes were left as is last season because
they had either active flying squirrel nests or were near active
squirrel nests. This year I was able to clean out and remove four of
those boxes for repair and relocation to a better location. The fifth
box contained a red squirrel and was again left as is for now.
> The 25
other boxes were cleaned out, repaired and relocated where needed.
Twelve of the boxes contained Tree Swallow nests with breeding evidence.
Two of these nests had egg shells and none had dead chicks. There were
no partial nests. There was 1 flying squirrel nest, 1 partial flying
squirrel nest and 1 contained a red squirrel and roost/nest (I observed
the squirrel bring nesting materials into the box). The box left was
left as is for now.
> June 2018 was a frigid month here and the tree
swallows did not did not construct nests or breed during that period.
They left the area in late June but returned in mid July when weather
conditions were warmer. They then proceeded to build nests and breed in
Mid to late July. This is when the 12 nests mentioned above were
constructed. I've never seen this behavior before but it is interesting.

> Last season I made and mounted 25 predator guards (3"x 3" x 1/4"
plexi with a 1 1/2" hole) on the boxes not left as is for the flying
squirrels. The results of this experiment were positive but mixed. None
of the guards showed any sign of squirrel damage but three had either
red or flying squirrel roosts/nests and in one I observed a red squirrel
entering a box with nesting materials. This tells me that squirrels
(both red and flying) have no problem entering a nest box through the 1
1/2" hole that is accepted as standard in the nest box literature.
Whether a squirrel can use the box for breeding seems unlikely (a
pregnant squirrel would be pretty big for an 1 1/2" hole) but it seems
using it has a roost or for predation could be possible. I'll check the
box in a couple of weeks a to confirm if its a nest or roost.
> I can't
find much info on whether a smaller hole size will keep tree swallows
from using the nest box or how small a hole is required to keep out
squirrels. All the commercial predator guards I saw on line had 1 1/2"
holes and I saw no reports of them not keeping out squirrels. It's all a
puzzle to me. All the best.
> Fritz McEvoy
> Sunrise Valley (near
Dingwall)

--=_2838068924f87fcbbea9a76ce460785a

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">
p to widen it to 1 1/2 in.&nbsp;&nbsp; This at least keeps out House sparro=
ws.&nbsp; It might work for squirrels as well.&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
x solid; margin-left:5px; width:100%"><!-- html ignored --><!-- head ignore=
d --><!-- meta ignored -->
olor: #000000;">Hi All,&nbsp;</div>
olor: #000000;">&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;I finally finished cleaning out my Tree=
 Swallow boxes yesterday and have some interesting findings.&nbsp;</div>
olor: #000000;">&nbsp; &nbsp; There were 30 boxes checked this spring but o=
nly 25 were available for nesting last year. Five boxes were left as is las=
t season because they had either active flying squirrel nests or were near =
active squirrel nests. This year I was able to clean out and remove four of=
 those boxes for repair and relocation to a better location. The fifth box =
contained a red squirrel and was again left&nbsp; as is for now.</div>
olor: #000000;">&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;The 25 other boxes were cleaned out, re=
paired and relocated where needed. Twelve of the boxes contained Tree Swall=
ow nests with breeding evidence. Two of these nests had egg shells and none=
 had dead chicks. There were no partial nests.&nbsp; There was 1 flying squ=
irrel nest, 1 partial flying squirrel nest and 1 contained a red squirrel a=
nd roost/nest (I observed the squirrel bring nesting materials into the box=
). The box left was left as is for now.</div>
olor: #000000;">&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; June 2018 was a frigid month here and =
the tree swallows did not did not construct nests or breed during that peri=
od. They left the area in late June but returned in mid July when weather c=
onditions were warmer. They then proceeded to build nests and breed in Mid =
to late July. This is when the 12 nests mentioned above were constructed. I=
've never seen this behavior before but it is interesting.</div>
olor: #000000;">&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;Last season I made&nbsp; and mou=
nted 25 predator guards (3"x 3"&nbsp; x 1/4" plexi with a 1 1/2" hole) on t=
he boxes not left as is for the flying squirrels. The results of this exper=
iment were positive but mixed. None of the guards showed any sign of squirr=
el damage but three had either red or flying squirrel roosts/nests and in o=
ne I observed a red squirrel entering a box with nesting materials. This te=
lls me that squirrels (both red and flying) have no problem entering a nest=
 box through the 1 1/2" hole that is accepted as standard in the nest box l=
iterature. Whether a squirrel can use the box for breeding seems unlikely (=
a pregnant squirrel would be pretty big for an 1 1/2" hole) but it seems us=
ing it has a roost or for predation could be possible. I'll check the box i=
n a couple of weeks a to confirm if its a nest or roost.</div>
olor: #000000;">&nb