[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 01:05:08 +0000

--_000_YQBPR0101MB1332A86E2ABD00F183B1644BB50D0YQBPR0101MB1332_

Nova Scotia Power is crucifying bird habitat everywhere that you look.  At =
least in Lunenburg County recently.  I understand protection to the lines, =
but it leaves huge tracks of clearcut.  It has left a lot of places where m=
igrants were plentiful and birds breed of which there will now be no more. =
 As an example go to the entrance of the trail that was created to go out t=
o the Back Oler Farm Marsh in Garden Lots.  There was a nice forest canopy =
when you walked in off the road.  Now what remains is a rocks throw from th=
e marsh.  I used to make a special trip there for migration and enjoyed see=
ing lots of nesting species throughout the summer months, but now my trips =
there will be far fewer other than to view the marsh.

Another spot is in Lilydale when you drive along the main drag from Frank's=
 Automotive to the intersection in Lilydale.  The nice grouping of hardwood=
s that were there are no more. I saw lots of birds along that stretch over =
the years.  Numbers of breeding birds also.

James R. Hirtle
LaHave