[NatureNS] Does anyone know why a broad swath has been cleared on

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Sat, 11 May 2019 17:40:02 -0300

Hi Bev & All,

     As in most things, details and method trump labels. And information
which comes from a biased source is likely to be biased.

     Unfortunately the Biomass plant in Cape Breton, based on a video
which circulated on Facebook last year, is a model of how not to use
biomass. Based on this video, the wood is piled long length outdoors so
at best will be sopping wet if dead and high in water if green. And
absolutely such plants should be located where the is a use nearby for
the waste heat.

     Excepting swamps, which may take several years to recover from a
cut, I understand that leaf area index quickly becomes saturated by the
second year. Typically the problem is far too much regrowth which needs
to be thinned. Think Fir trees so thick that one must walk edgewise
while pushing trees apart.

     In one area which I had clearcut in 2000 ? ( leaving only the
smattering of deciduous trees), when all of the Spruce shed their
needles in June, had good leaf cover that fall and in the year after
cutting was a riot of shoulder high Solidago etc.; an insect paradise
and no light went to waste.

      It is true that trees fix carbon. But with age, or excessive
competition, or site limitations the rate may become vanishingly small
or negative if the heart wood is invaded by ants or rots especially if
the "growth" rings become vanishingly thin (e.g. an estimated 30 years
per cm of radial increment). When rings are much less than 0.4 mm it is
difficult to get an exact count.

     My interest in trees goes back 76 years, when as his partner on the
crosscut saw, I talked dad into thinning a largely White Pine grove
instead of cutting it to be cleared for farmland. It has subsequently
been logged three more times and there is still a dense stand of pine
growing like mad.

YT, Dave Kentville