[NatureNS] Plant ID from photos

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 17:30:10 -0300

Hi All,

     I can not locate Nancy's original post so will make mostly general
comments.  Photos are almost useless for ID of plants for a number of
reasons. In the first shot almost everything is out of focus so I moved
on to photo 2. There are several distinct species there but the more
common looks like Acer spicatum but it is too early for that to be in
full leaf. So the question resembles the parlor game---guess what game
this is.

     Most cameras have one eye and most people see with two. Some 10-20
years ago I was stumped by photos of a fern which I have known from 20'
away since 1940 or earlier. Perhaps because foreground images blend into
more distant objects and thereby fail to stand out.

     It would be much easier to reach a sound conclusion if possible
diagnostic parts of the unknown plant  were picked flattened and then
photographed or at least described with some notes; woody or non-woody,
annual or perennial, phyllotaxy, venation.....

     That being said, Ribes is consistent for a plant to be in full leaf
this early (If all resemble Black Current in this way) and going back
later in the year for flowers or fruit would settle it. One with Maple
like leaves is (or was) relatively uncommon.

Yt, Dave W, Kentville