[NatureNS] Interesting Cormorant Feeding Behaviour

From: "GayleMacLean" <duartess@EastLink.ca>
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 20:06:39 -0300

--Boundary_(ID_v2dZrWnNZF9BoHj8IEXreA)

Today, as I was walking my Springer Spaniel on the boardwalk along Prince Albert Rd, by Lake Banook, here in Dartmouth, I saw a cormorant, not far off the shore, fighting to gulp down a VERY large eel (looked more like a Garter Snake, actually), as it twist and turned all around the head of the bird, trying to escape.
After, what seemed to be many minutes, the cormorant started to gulp it down, only to have it re-appear from its beak, only to be gulped back down. The swelling on the cormorants neck was very obvious as it fought to swallow it down, keeping its beak, straight up in the air. Eventually, the meal, no longer appeared from its beak, but, the behaviour of the Cormorant, pointing its beak straight up, swishing its bill around in the water, and not diving, or trying to fly, gave me pause. This continued on, as it swam out into the lake.
Was worried it was strangling, but appeared to be, not struggling. Kept swishing its beak/bill in the water, grooming its throat feathers, & pointing its head straight up & flapping its wings, as it swam further out in the lake.
Wish I had some Gaviscon, or Pepto Bismol, to offer it!
Am sure that was a hard digestion. but not an unusual, scenario, I'm sure.

Gayle MacLean
Dartmouth

<signaturebeforequotedtext></signaturebeforequotedtext><signatureafterquotedtext></signatureafterquotedtext>

--Boundary_(ID_v2dZrWnNZF9BoHj8IEXreA)

=3Cp=3EToday=2C as I was walking my Springer Spaniel on the boardwalk al=
ong Prince Albert Rd=2C by Lake Banook=2C here in Dartmouth=2C I saw a c=
ormorant=2C not far off the shore=2C fighting to gulp down a VERY large =
eel (looked more like a Garter Snake=2C actually)=2C as it twist and tur=
ned all around the head of the bird=2C trying to escape=2E=C2=A0=3C/p=3E=
=3Cp=3EAfter=2C what seemed to be many minutes=2C the cormorant started =
to gulp it down=2C only to have it re-appear from its beak=2C only to be=
 gulped back down=2E The swelling on the cormorants neck was very obviou=
s as it fought to swallow it down=2C keeping its beak=2C straight up in =
the air=2E Eventually=2C the meal=2C no longer appeared from its beak=2C=
 but=2C the behaviour of the Cormorant=2C pointing its beak straight up=2C=
 swishing its bill around in the water=2C and not diving=2C or trying to=
 fly=2C gave me pause=2E This continued on=2C as it swam out into the la=
ke=2E =3C/p=3E=3Cp=3EWas worried it was strangling=2C but appeared to be=
=2C not struggling=2E Kept swishing its beak/bill in the water=2C groomi=
ng its throat feathers=2C =26amp=3B pointing its head straight up =26amp=
=3B flapping its wings=2C as it swam further out in the lake=2E=3C/p=3E=3C=
p=3EWish I had some Gaviscon=2C or Pepto Bismol=2C to offer it! =3C/p=3E=
=3Cp=3EAm sure that was a hard digestion=2E but not an unusual=2C scenar=
io=2C I=27m sure=2E=3C/p=3E=3Cp=3E=3C/p=3E=3Cp=3EGayle MacLean=3C/p=3E=3C=
p=3EDartmouth=3C/p=3E=3Cp=3E=3C/p=3E=3Cp=3E=3C/p=3E=3Cdiv =3E=3Cbr /=3E=3C=
/div=3E

--Boundary_(ID_v2dZrWnNZF9BoHj8IEXreA)--