[NatureNS] A new song needing ID

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2019 22:58:37 -0300

Hi Nancy:

I took a listen to the recording, but found myself running through a
list in my head.  I would suggest they are call notes rather than a
"song".  Distinguishing all the calls is pretty tough (at least for me),
with the exception of some of the more distinct ones.  Maybe someone
else has a hypothesis.  It was strange to continuously call like that.
It's too early to be 'upset' and calling over issues like nest robbers
or predators, etc.  Was it coming from mid-canopy or upper?  That helps
whittle down the possibilities.

It seemed thrush-like perhaps, but not the distinct calls of any of the
species regularly encountered.

By the way, I hear that you are enlisted, as well as several other
birders from across the province, for surveying bird species in hemlock
stands this spring (and ensuing years, hopefully). That's terrific.
It's an excellent idea by John Kearney and the NS Bird Society, to
suggest a monitoring program to allow comparisons between song bird
communities in hemlock stands that are infested with Hemlock Woolly
Adelgid (HWA) and uninfested hemlock stands in NS.  There may be
shifting population trends if or when hemlock begin to decline.  What a
worthy application of birding skills.  Thanks, Nancy.  (I'm planning to
carry out some additional hemlock surveys in Kejimkujik for the same
purposes. It will be great to compare with a more regional data set.)

Enjoy the birding under feathery hemlocks.  They were singing despite
the gray and breezy coolness today.  The Black-throated greens and
Blue-headed Vireos really stood out.  I heard some chimney swifts at the
Eel Weir and smiled, since I knew Paul McDonald would not have imagined
them (he mentioned hearing them earlier this week).  They were present
(but fleeting of course) with a sizeable group of barn and tree swallows.

Happy birding.  Keep testing us with your recordings!

Donna Crossland

formerly of E. Dalhousie

On 2019-05-18 7:38 p.m., NancyDowd wrote:
> This is the first time I’ve heard this song around here. Repeated every 15s. Most always the 3notes version shown (once or twice a 2note version). Bout lasted from the time I went outside until bird went out of range 5-10min later. Loud and emphatic enough to be heard over the strong winds. At times detected a burry quality to the first notes. Bird was moving through trees and eventually went out of range. In mainly hardwood forest on a point in lake, some cottages nearby.
>
> Amplified only: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/159368101
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks again, Nancy D
> E Dalhousie, Kings