[NatureNS] May 19

Received-SPF: pass (kirk.authcom.com: authenticated connection) receiver=kirk.authcom.com; client-ip=45.2.192.180; helo=[192.168.0.101]; envelope-from=dwebster@glinx.com; x-software=spfmilter 2.001 http://www.acme.com/software/spfmilter/ with libspf2-1.2.10;
To: Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: David Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2019 20:58:20 -0300

Hi All,

     I went out to the North Alton woodlot yesterday, moved some split
wood to a pile, fed some black flies and in general had a pleasant
several hours. The ground is still sopping wet, so to avoid puddling I
walked on brush when possible, but most buds have broken and those
leaves will soon help to dry the soil.

     This is a good time of year to admire leaf venation because the
more readily decomposed leaves, if kept moist by leaves above them, are
by now reduced to an intricate mesh of vascular tissue. Those who set up
public transit systems should study leaf vascular anatomy so they would
have the benefit of expert guidance.

     Shadbush (Amelanchier sp) was in full bloom (north facing slope)
whereas west of Kentville near Route #1 it was in blossom May 8.

     And speaking of route #1 that 40 acres or more which was recently
clearcut, bulldozed and leveled looks like another paved car lot on the way.

Yt, Dave W. Kentville