[NatureNS] Birds and butterflies White Point and beyond

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: "naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2019 20:54:55 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D51B17.C33A18E0

Things have slowed down terribly (we miss them) since we took down the =
bird feeders. There are regulars like the Mourning Doves, an occasional =
Blue Jay, a few Starlings, Grackles, Robins  and Chickadees. Most all =
else has abandoned us. Even the chipmunks and Squirrels. There are a few =
Warblers from time to time in the tree tops, an Oven bird and a Veery. A =
Northern Parula has been around for a couple days.=20
Hummingbirds we have. Three males still and I think 4 females at least. =
There is a lot more aggression than I have seen other years but that =
seems to be settling down.=20
Our Swallows are incubating in the Barn House. A pair were checking out =
the Appletree House but were chased away by a Nuthatch!

Between appointments this afternoon, I spent an hour at the Western Head =
Lighthouse.  I saw Five swallows; 3 Tree and 2 Barn flying all around.  =
I saw butterflies as well. A few Cabbage and a Red Admiral but the treat =
was 3 Monarchs, one of which was tagged. I did not have my camera so no =
photos, but they came  off  the water, and flitted past to a stand of =
trees and disappeared.  One landed on the truck so I had a good look. =
That one was tagged but I couldn't read the info. I looked to see =
possible food sources, dandelions, wild Rhododendrons, Wild =
Strawberries, and pollen on the catkins of the alders and scrub. Not a =
lot of Indian Pear right there... I cannot remember the correct term for =
that at the moment. I called my sister who came out as I was leaving. =
She stayed for a bit then saw a Monarch come in off the water and fly =
past and disappear into the trees. We Tagged Monarchs Last year so we =
are sure of what we saw. No photos from her either. So we have been =
wondering if it is possible they are migrating back north along an East =
coast route having wintered over in Florida... all very interesting.=20

Around the property here we have 3 or 4 Red Admirals, in excellent =
shape, Cabbage whites a couple Sulphers and a couple Fritillaries. =
Possibly a painted or an American lady, it was moving too quickly to see =
clearly. Not all today, but the last day with sun and then today was =
warmer so more.=20

Marg
White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,=20
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia=20
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393=20
MargMillard.ca By Appointment, please=20

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tunes without the words
And never stops=96at all." (Emily Dickinson)
------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D51B17.C33A18E0

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD>
<BODY dir=3Dltr>
<DIV dir=3Dltr>
<DIV style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 18pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Calibri'; COLOR: #000000">
<DIV>Things have slowed down terribly (we miss them) since we took down =
the bird=20
feeders. There are regulars like the Mourning Doves, an occasional Blue =
Jay, a=20
few Starlings, Grackles, Robins&nbsp; and Chickadees. Most all else has=20
abandoned us. Even the chipmunks and Squirrels. There are a few Warblers =
from=20
time to time in the tree tops, an Oven bird and a Veery. A Northern =
Parula has=20
been around for a couple days. </DIV>
<DIV>Hummingbirds we have. Three males still and I think 4 females at =
least.=20
There is a lot more aggression than I have seen other years but that =
seems to be=20
settling down. </DIV>
<DIV>Our Swallows are incubating in the Barn House. A pair were checking =
out the=20
Appletree House but were chased away by a Nuthatch!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Between appointments this afternoon, I spent an hour at the Western =
Head=20
Lighthouse.&nbsp; I saw Five swallows; 3 Tree and 2 Barn flying all=20
around.&nbsp; I saw butterflies as well. A few Cabbage and a Red Admiral =
but the=20
treat was 3 Monarchs, one of which was tagged. I did not have my camera =
so no=20
photos, but they came&nbsp; off&nbsp; the water, and flitted past to a =
stand of=20
trees and disappeared.&nbsp; One landed on the truck so I had a good =
look. That=20
one was tagged but I couldn't read the info. I looked to see possible =
food=20
sources, dandelions, wild Rhododendrons, Wild Strawberries, and pollen =
on the=20
catkins of the alders and scrub. Not a lot of Indian Pear right there... =
I=20
cannot remember the correct term for that at the moment. I called my =
sister who=20
came out as I was leaving. She stayed for a bit then saw a Monarch come =
in off=20
the water and fly past and disappear into the trees. We Tagged Monarchs =
Last=20
year so we are sure of what we saw. No photos from her either. So we =
have been=20
wondering if it is possible they are migrating back north along an East =
coast=20
route having wintered over in Florida... all very interesting. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Around the property here we have 3 or 4 Red Admirals, in excellent =
shape,=20
Cabbage whites a couple Sulphers and a couple Fritillaries. Possibly a =
painted=20
or an American lady, it was moving too quickly to see clearly. Not all =
today,=20
but the last day with sun and then today was warmer so more. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Marg</DIV>
<DIV>White Point Artist, Marg Millard</DIV>
<DIV>19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co., </DIV>
<DIV>R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia </DIV>
<DIV>B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393 </DIV>
<DIV>MargMillard.ca By Appointment, please </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Hope is the thing with feathers</DIV>
<DIV>That perches in the soul</DIV>
<DIV>And sings the tunes without the words</DIV>
<DIV>And never stops=96at all." (Emily =
Dickinson)</DIV></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01D51B17.C33A18E0--