[NatureNS] Migratory Bird activity at Corbett-Dalhousie Lake Forest - Annapolis County

From: Bev Wigney <bkwigney@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2019 12:16:20 -0300
To: naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

All,

By now, I'm sure that just about everyone will have seen the story in
yesterday's press about Corbett-Dalhousie Lake Forest which is located
just south of Bridgetown in Annapolis County.  It's a stand of very
large, old as well as multi-aged Yellow Birch, Sugar Maple, Beech, Red
Spruce, and Red Maple.  However, just in case you didn't, see the link
below.

Yesterday, I was out for the afternoon with Scott Leslie.  We heard
and occasionally saw quite a few birds including Chimney Swifts and
Northern Waterthrush - and many warblers.  Well, here's the list of
birds heard, and/or seen, that Scott sent to me last night:
Blackburnian warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Yellow-rumped warbler
Black and White Warbler
Red-eyed vireo
Blue-headed vireo
Ovenbird
Yellow-bellied sapsucker
Winter wren
Northern waterthrush
Northern parula
Spotted sandpiper (at the shore)
Eastern wood pewee
Northern goshawk
CHIMNEY SWIFTS -- seen and heard flying just above the forest canopy)
Earlier last week, several of us watched Common Nighthawk flying over
the canopy at dusk.
As expected, in a forest with such a complex canopy and natural
understory, it's quite bird rich right now.  Unfortunately, if the
Minister of Lands and Forestry can be taken at his word (see article
in link) harvesting will resume in that forest on Monday.  Apparently
the presence of nesting migratory birds is not a problem.  Someone
should tell the birds not to worry about all the heavy machinery
moving in around their nests.
https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/naturalists-comb-nova-scotia-woods-for-birds-in-bid-to-halt-loggers-1.4456945

Bev Wigney