[NatureNS] the stat that woke me up

From: N Robinson <nrobbyn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:12:17 -0400
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--000000000000c7d386058b858c28

The research was done by a team headed up by Elli Slaughter of San Diego
University:  ellislaughter@hotmail.com

Please note, I was wrong about having to pay for the article.  It is all
here:  https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/20/Suppl_1/i25

Here is part of the summary:

*Methods* Using US Environmental Protection Agency standard acute fish
bioassays, cigarette butt-derived leachate was analysed for aquatic
toxicity. Survival was the single endpoint and data were analysed using
Comprehensive Environmental Toxicity Information System to identify the
LC50 of cigarette butt leachate to fish.

*Results* The LC50 for leachate from smoked cigarette butts (smoked filter
+ tobacco) was approximately one cigarette butt/l for both the marine
topsmelt (*Atherinops affinis*) and the freshwater fathead minnow (*Pimephales
promelas*). Leachate from smoked cigarette filters (no tobacco), was less
toxic, with LC50 values of 1.8 and 4.3 cigarette butts/l, respectively for
both fish species. Unsmoked cigarette filters (no tobacco) were also found
to be toxic, with LC50 values of 5.1 and 13.5 cigarette butts/l,
respectively, for both fish species.

*Conclusion* Toxicity of cigarette butt leachate was found to increase from
unsmoked cigarette filters (no tobacco) to smoked cigarette filters (no
tobacco) to smoked cigarette butts (smoked filter + tobacco). This study
represents the first in the literature to investigate and affirm the
toxicity of cigarette butts to fish, and will assist in assessing the
potential ecological risks of cigarette butts to the aquatic environment.
Happy reading! I would appreciate your comments on the research.

Nancy