[NatureNS] Monarch influx

From: "Marg Millard" <mmillard@eastlink.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2019 08:06:31 -0300

Here at White point, I have only seen one Monarch on/over the property. My
Common Milkweed was not even looking out of the ground and the Swamp was
very short. At Western Head, I had three one day around noon to 1 pm, that
came in off the water and went right to trees. One of those was tagged, (I
couldn't see what it said, and no photos) it stopped on the truck for a
second and then went to the trees. (Yes I know it isn't possible but it was)
There was open dandylion, some clover and a few Iris so not much to feed on.
My sister joined me, stayed a bit longer and saw another do the very same
thing.
Friends down the shore outside East Berlin have both reported Monarchs
Friday and again yesterday in their yards. One yesterday said they settled
on her Milkweed but so far no sign of eggs. My stand I checked yesterday, no
sign of eggs. I went to East Berlin Sat. to see what I could see. I went on
down to Medway Head and Long Cove where I will be painting some this summer
and saw a number of Tiger swallow Tails and Cabbages, a Red Admiral and
maybe a Checkerspot of some sort but no Monarchs for me.
We have had a female Monarch in our field milkweed for a month now, and have
found only two eggs. Today, we suddenly have five Monarchs in the field and
they are flying around each other in there mating pattern. The Common
milkweed is beginning to flower and attract abundant insects to their
flowers.

I suspect more Monarchs will be observed in the Province shortly. Let us
know.

Larry

White Point Artist, Marg Millard
19 White Point 2 Rd., White Point, Queens Co.,
R.R. # 1 Hunts Point, Nova Scotia
B0T 1G0 Canada (902) 683-2393
MargMillard.ca By Appointment, please

"Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul
And sings the tunes without the words
And never stops-at all." (Emily Dickinson)