[NatureNS] Loon platform success so far

To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Donna Crossland <dcrossland@eastlink.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 10:53:44 -0300

Hi Nancy:  Your update on the loon platform is of interest.  I believe
it may be only the 2nd occurrence of a loon nesting platform being
occupied by loons in NS.  It's interesting that the Canada Goose 'broke
it in' a bit.  Maybe that helped instill confidence.  MTRI has had a
project of producing loon platforms, but so far occupancy has been
limited to just one lake.   I'd be interested to see a photo of the loon
platform on Lake Torment.  I can wait until the loon is off the nest to
see the 'setup', in case you are out with camera in hand, Nancy.

Of additional interest is the late nesting of loons.  That is also my
impression of what may be occurring with some of the loon population in
Kejimkujik this year.  High waters may have delayed exposure of nest
sites on several lakes.  It will be interesting to follow the
survivorship of potentially late-hatching loon chicks.

Thanks for the update.

Donna Crossland

On 2019-07-17 11:11 a.m., nancy dowd wrote:
> A person on L Torment, E Dalhousie, Kings Co, decided to install a floating Loon nesting platform he got from DNR this year. The latter suggested he install it near the island where they’ve nested in the past and so he did. This “island” only emerges if the water is low enough. This year the water levels here are quite high so it is still underwater. The platform went in in May and Canada Geese promptly occupied it and raised a family. Once they were gone the Loons did seem to notice it, probably because they were looking for their usual nesting site. I hear that a Loon has been on the platform full time for 1-2 weeks so presumably sitting on eggs. If all goes well and a chick (or chicks) hatches this will be a very late little Loon (into Aug). Seems at least 12 weeks are necessary to get young to the stage of self-sufficiency so possible.
>
> Nancy D
>
> Sent from my iPad

---