[NatureNS] Loon platform success so far

To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: Kevin Lantz <klantz@ns.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 18:17:37 -0300

clear=3D"none"&gt;&lt;strong&gt;To:&lt;/stro
--_A7404706-A66B-4B3D-8C46-8DB0805124C8_

--_DBC270E7-66C7-4293-B089-36482E93F533_

I can recall  that nest as far back as the mid 80=E2=80=99s. The area where=
 they had previously nested is no longer suitable. It seems to be kept at a=
 higher water level than in years past although the folks at NS Power deny =
that. The other possibility is the vegetation they used died off while the =
lake was low and did not regrow. The Loons did return for a number of years=
 after the dam refurbishment but nested somewhere else on the lake. I have =
seen loons there in recent years but the last chick I observed was in Augus=
t of 2015.
From what I remember the platform was not used successfully but I did see t=
hem checking it out. It was essentially the shape of a truck tire innertube=
 and I believe the sides may have been too high and steep for easy access.

Kevin Lantz

Sent from Mail for Windows 10